Hot Air Balloon

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
Hi All,
Does anyone know where I can get a model of a modern day hot air balloon? I know Fiddler's Green has the Montgolfier brothers balloon, but I need something like you would see today.

I did a search, but nothing came up. Thanks in advance!

Ron Caudillo

rbeach84

New to Paper
Feb 5, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia [USA]
Ron, I am researching & drawing plans for a HAB replica in Sloggi "skin", since I am a big fan of 'nose art'. Can't beat the art on the Sloggi promotional balloons!

However, my efforts will most likely take a while as I figure out how to manually 'unfold' the beastie. I actually would like to build it using a light wire armature, to support the printed 'skin' in an inflated pose. As the real thing has stitching throughout, it should look just fine while being quite robust.

Almost as much a challenge as doing space-borne vehicles (which are very rickety under gravity loading...)

Cheers, and good luck!
Regards,
Robert

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
I ended up designing the model

Hi all,
My wife (who works for United Way) had requested a hot air ballon because she wanted to use it to hold items for a fund-raiser currently going on.

I endied up burning the midnight oil (literally- finished at 7:30 am this morning after working all night on it). I saved a TON of ink printing it on colored cardstock.

She was very happy with it; I hope to NEVER build another balloon- it was pretty difficult to build for me; working past midnight I'm sure didn't help though.

Anyway, it was for a good cause and her co-workers were pretty amazed with it despite my moderate (lack of) building skills.

Good luck Robert, I would be interested in following your progress!

Best Regards,
Ron Caudillo

Attachments

• Balloon 1a.jpg
    Balloon 1a.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Balloon 2a.jpg
    Balloon 2a.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 7