Horton Ho IX - Fiddlers Green

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Dr. Aerospace, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Dr. Aerospace

Dr. Aerospace New Member

Just finished the Horton Ho IX glider from Fiddlers Green a few days ago. See attachments for pictures.

This might be the easiest paper model that I've ever built. Only 4 parts: center body, LH and RH wings plus canopy. Probably 1.5 hours total investment (I work slow). The most difficult part is maintaining the airfoil section; the paper tends to want to open back up thus making the airfoil fatter than it should be. Fiddlers Green thoughtfully includes an airfoil on the sheet. I cut it out and installed it on the centerline of the aircraft to hold the airfoil shape from there - it worked fine.

The photos also show my method for hanging my models from the ceiling. I use two metal staples, both bent into hooks with loops at the end. One staple gets punched into a hole in the aircraft (along with a dab of glue to hold it in place) with the loop flush with the skin of the aircraft. The other staple has fishing line tied to the loop and the hook then... hooks... into the loop that has been glued into the aircraft. A paperclip on the upper end of the fishing line hooks into whatever is available on/near the ceiling from which to hang the airplane.

Attached Files:

2. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Nicely done - well presented!

3. Birdman914

Birdman914 New Member

Hey:eek: Looks like a Horton Ho IX to me.:wave: Great job Doc:thumb:
  4. zizi6785

zizi6785 New Member

Yes, this a Ho IX without engines
  5. Gerald43

Gerald43 Member