Horten HO229

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by eric_son, Nov 13, 2007.

1. eric_son

eric_son Member

Continuing my unhealthy interest for the Luftwaffe Wunderwaffen, I begin another build. (And partially venting my frustration for being a lousy pilot in IL2: 1946)

I'm starting the famous Horten HO229 flying wing.

Learning from the mistakes I made with the Volksjaeger, I carefully read the instruction diagram on the first page. This time, I learn that I had to thicken the parts marked with RED --- in other words, the formers.

Hehehehe... I'm not gonna forget to put the nose weights this time around. :twisted:

Looking good so far. There's a gap that I hope will be sufficiently covered when I assemble the canopy.
  2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looks like a good start!
  3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Which kit is this?
  4. Janx

Janx Member

Looking good :) made me chuckle too, what more could I ask. Keep it up.
  5. eric_son

eric_son Member

It's the Marek kit which I got as a bonus from DeWayne. :)
  6. eric_son

eric_son Member

I accidentally messed up the the nVidia drivers on my Ubuntu :curse:.
    Hence I wasn't able to upload the pix of the progress I've made so far...
    I only managed to fix the settings just now. Sigh...the price for not using Windows. :mrgreen:

I finally got to wrap the cover on the underside of the fuselage. Unlike the top portion, I had a really hard time getting the bottom skin to fit and align with the formers. I think I should have sanded down the formers a little bit.

Here's the engine intake assembly. Once the glue dries, I will have to take my box cutter to cut out the excess paper.

The canopy comes in three separate pieces. I decided to attach them to the fuselage separately. Big mistake. The middle canopy did not align will with the front and rear canopy parts.

Here's the engine exhaust assembly. Lots of bad fits here. I'm starting to get a bit discouraged with the model. But I've already poured some time into this so I must push on.

I got this picture from Wikipedia's entry of the HO229. Notice how different the canopy is from the model. The canopy in the actual HO229 looks smaller and more streamlined than the model. Also, if you look at the next picture below, you'll notice that the intakes in the actual HO229 has the turbo fan's spinner visible from the outside. The one in the model doesn't.

Hehehe... I haven't glued the undercarriage yet. I'm just trying to simulate the model to look like the picture. :twisted:

I've started work on assembling the wings. Dang they're big. Hopefully I can finish tonight and upload pix before I call it the day.
  7. eric_son

eric_son Member

The wings....

As you can see, the wings barely have formers.

Wings completed!
    I did have to do extensive sanding on both the fuselage and wing. No matter how hard I tried to ensure that the formers remain straight when I glued them, they still warped a little. Maybe next time I'll use sturdier material.

Here's a shot with the wings attached. There's an unsightly white seam where the wing joins the body. I should have seen that and colored the insides of the joint with green before I applied glue.

Even for a 1:50 scale model, this baby has a huge wingspan!

All I need to do now is to add the undercarriage and the remaining doodads like antennae.
  8. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Still looking great!
  9. eric_son

eric_son Member

Despite all the troubles I encountered, this was an enjoyable build.

Once I manage to do all the other stuff in my to-do list, I'll surely get back to doing this one properly.

10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I think you did a very good job on a challenging model. There are lots of complex curves there. As for the visible seams, you can touch them up with acrylic paint and a paint brush with a fine point. :)

ARMORMAN Guest

Looks good, but you need to lose the camo and wings to make it look like the pic. :mrgreen:
  12. nuttymango

nuttymango New Member

Very nice photos!

Do you have a link for Marek kits from Dewayne?
  13. smyfe

smyfe Member

Marek Models

Marek models are available from DeWayne at
    you will find a great assortment there and an extremely helpful seller:thumb::thumb:
  14. eric_son

eric_son Member

I think this model can benefit from having more formers. (Or maybe the formers could benefit from me having a steadier hand while cutting so that it would have a tighter fit ... hehehe.)

I forgot to mention this. Before I attached the wheels, I took this baby for a spin. I flies! :D (Though the slight warping at the tip of one of the wings did cause the plane to spin and crash on the bed...)

Indeed! :thumb: DeWayne was very very accommodating. I'm going to get either the Pfeil or the Zwilling(...or maybe both :twisted:) for my future project.
  15. jagolden

jagolden Guest

16. You could color the seams carefully with a line brush and water color. But be careful not tl put too much or it will blead. Sometimes I use acrylic whci doesn't blead very much. But I have to say you have a very fine model. I only mention that because you called attention to it earlier. I personally think it is no big deal. Congrats on a fine build
  17. nuttymango

nuttymango New Member

Thanks smyfe.
  18. zizi6785

zizi6785 New Member

what a great work with the undercarriage.
  19. MTK

MTK Active Member

The Horton 229 is one of my favorites. The fact that the Nazis were so far ahead of us, just as they were losing the war... We were lucky.
  20. thokamous

thokamous New Member

looks freakin sweet now someone need to mod it with props for the plane from the indiana jones movie :p