Horseshoe curve

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
There is (was) a Horsehoe Curve on the Credit Valley in southern Ontario. And there was a big wreck there in the late 1800s I believe. It is hard to find info on the web though, 'cuz every search for "Horsehoe Curve" turns up links to this one...! ;) :D

Andrew

PS - Nice pics all!

I have not been there. However, my invisible daughter has - it was a school project where a life-size cut out of her was sent via mail across the U.S. and to Ireland. On her return to Minnesota, one visit included a stop in PA and a post card of the curve. I got more joy out of it than did my daughter.

LR&BRR

Rusty Spike said:
I have not been there. However, my invisible daughter has - it was a school project where a life-size cut out of her was sent via mail across the U.S. and to Ireland. On her return to Minnesota, one visit included a stop in PA and a post card of the curve. I got more joy out of it than did my daughter.

I remember the flat lilly thread it was wonderful. :wave: how is she doing? can you give us an update?

siderod

when i first read the invisable daughter part, i instantly thought ''well..someone had a few to many cpt. morgan's" but i remember lilly now

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I was at the Horsecurve when i was five years old. It was my first time there. The second time i was at the curve was at Railfest 2002 when i was 17. I got to go up and around it behind the two restored E-8's that were at railfest. It is an experience i will never forget. I would love to go back on sit up there for the day and watch all the train activity that goes by, but of course if i can't make it there usually go to the Cassandra Overlook.

inkaneer

the curve

shaygetz said:
And to hear off in the distance a 6 unit lashup with two pushers as they start to dig in for the climb...ahhh, sweet music to my ears (sigh)

They call it the "Symphony of the Alleghenies" I would have loved to have had modern sound equipment back in the 40's and 50's and cptured the sound of Steam working the Mountain.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
inkaneer,
In the August TRAINS on page 8 there is an add for an album called "Sounds of Altoona" vol 3 by Semaphore Records, PO Box 22304, Alexandria, VA 22304 Its apparently both steam and diesel recordings. I don't know the company or their products so I couldn't say if its the sort of thing you might be interested in but.... :)
Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Thought I'd have a little fun and place a retired steamer (a cheap flea market purchase of several years ago), an abandoned water tower, and some foliage to dress up the scene. Now for some vines to cover parts of the retaining wall below and hide those holes where screws fasten it into place...
Ralph

Attachments

• curve2.jpg
    curve2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 47