Horseshoe Curve Pics

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
In GT we have a thread going about the famous Horshoe Curve In Pennsylvania.

The Horseshoe curve Web Page can be found here

I and a few other members have visited this Historic landmark, near Altoona, PA at different times.

I thought I would post my pictures from Two of the Three times I visited The Curve. In September 1986 and August 1989.

First the GG1 and other engines in The Altoona Railroader's Memorial Museum.

Attachments

• AltoonaG004.jpg
    AltoonaG004.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 376
  • AltoonaG03.jpg
    AltoonaG03.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 375

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Mikey. I see you got the lake, the 0-4-0 porter, the little critter and the GG1. The thing I remember most about the GG1 was the 1 inch thick cork flooring. Must have been able to feel the volts surrounding you as an engineer in that thing, you know? I think I'll spare myself the operating funicular in my model though.

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
shaygetz said:
Thanks, Mikey. I see you got the lake, the 0-4-0 porter, the little critter and the GG1. The thing I remember most about the GG1 was the 1 inch thick cork flooring. Must have been able to feel the volts surrounding you as an engineer in that thing, you know? I think I'll spare myself the operating funicular in my model though.

Thought you'd enjoy them. If you want the "original pics" - I can e-mail them to you - I had to "shrink" these down for The gauge. :)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Mikey and Ray,
Thanks for including the pics! Thanks to all who included personal stories of having been there! I just might place a retired loco in front of that curve on my layout and make it an attraction for the LPBs. Now...how to make a funicular railroad for the tourists... ;)
Ralph

Edit: whoops! I meant to post this on the other horseshoe curve thread. :)

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. Thanks Mikey for the neat pictures. What makes me sick is that I have been to Altoona several times years back when I lived in Binghamton, New York, as my brother lived there. I probably passed that curve right up. Never heard of it until I got on this forum. Had my head buried huh. Ugh.

Have a question also, which is probably dumb, but here comes. Has anyone hooked up actual wiring to one of those overhead electric locos?

I used to have a ball as a kid putting rocks on the streetcar tracks and watching the sparks fly. Finally quit though, when my buddy and I put such a big one on the last time, the car almost derailed. Scared the crap out of us. Ha ha. I was a real youngster then, in Kirkwood, Missouri where I grew up. Lots of neat trains going in and out of the station. Steamers were gradually and sadly going out, and diesels were coming in.

Night all. Jack.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi, Allstate
As far as I know, no GG1 has been operated since they were pulled from the mainline.
Their demise had two roots (other than plain old age) -- the RRs wanted to change the voltage in the overhead to kilovoltage and the transformers in the GG1s had PCBs in them. (Of course, the sensible course would have been to replace the transformers with higher voltage ones without PCBs, but we'ree dealing with RRs here. :D )
I'm not sure what they did do with the PCBs.

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
There were a few GG-1's running in NJ for a few years after teh "Main line" ones were abandoned. And I mean abandoned. I have pics of them sitting on sidings and yards in Delaware.

Yes - The PCB's were the main demise of them. It was & still is expensive for the reclaimation or elimination of PCB's. The GG-1 at the RR Museum of PA had it's PCB's taken out & the Museum had to pay for the removal :( Don't know how much it cost but I know it was expensive. :(

You can get more info on The GG-1 in The builder's Plate

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. Thanks David and Mikey for the information on the GG-1. I am not at all familiar with that engine other than it's model copy. Have seen them at museums, but never saw one running. What areas of the country did they used them in? Probably outlying areas from cities, because of the wiring? Very interesting in any case. Going to the Old Sacramento Museum soon, and maybe there is one there.

Thanks again for your replys. Jack.

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Allstate81140 said:
Hi all. Thanks David and Mikey for the information on the GG-1. I am not at all familiar with that engine other than it's model copy. Have seen them at museums, but never saw one running. What areas of the country did they used them in? Probably outlying areas from cities, because of the wiring? Very interesting in any case. Going to the Old Sacramento Museum soon, and maybe there is one there.

Thanks again for your replys. Jack.

Thanksd Jack. :) The Gg-1's ran mostly between Washington Dc & New york, but some ran in NJ where the tracks had overhead wiring.

coachsig

Feb 15, 2002
Sebring, FL
:wave: Hey Allstater,

When were you in Binghamton? I was in that neighborhood for twenty years ....until I discovered the warmth and SUNSHINE of Florida. I still visit that area frequently. :wave: It is currently 86 and bright sunshine....I think I remember a day like that in Binghamton....it was 1986 or 1987!!!! :D :D :D