Horn Hook Coupler Replacements

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Kerrskountry, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

Hi Y'all,

I just received several Model Power freight cars with the old horn hooks. The coupler is part of the truck. Of course I need to replace these in order to utilize these cars with my fleet which is equiped with Kadees.

Hopefully I can just replace the couplers in the coupler boxes without replacing the entire truck, What size kadee does one use with the one piece truck/coupler? Sorry I don't know what you call this type of truck.

Any help will be appreciated.

Rockaway Beach, MO
  2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Kadee does sell conversion kits for the trucks, using the original coupler boxes, which will convert it to the Kadees.
    You'll have to check the Kadee conversion chart and compare the maker of the rolling stock to what number for the Kadee conversion.(I have use #505 on the IHC Heavyweight Passenger cars) I have even converted old Tyco truck mounted couplers to Kadees(#twenty-eight)
    According to the Walthers catalog, The Kadee Coversion kit for Model Power freight cars is #28. Thats for truck mounting couplers.
    Body mounting usually involves a little more work, but the #5, or # 58 kits should work good.
    Hope this helps.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Joe: those are often called Talgo trucks, although that's apparently wrong. Politically correct term is Truck-mounted couplers.
    I've never converted them myself; usually cut the whole tab off and body-mount a #5 or similar. If I really wanted truck-mounts, I would buy a Kadee truck with coupler.
  4. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

5. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

6. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

While changing the truck mounted couplers to Kadee's can be done (been there and done that) you'll be much better off getting rid of the trucks altogether and body mounting the Kadee couplers. Voice of experience speaking.
  7. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Gotta agree with Jeffrey on this one. If these are cars that you don't plan on running much, and are basically backround scenery, then the MP trucks will work fine. If you plan on runing them regularly, you will be cursing derailments if you keep the MP trucks. If it were me, I would take the MP trucks off (I think they just snap into the body) glue a piece of styrene rod (or a plastic from a sprue) into the bolster and cut it of flush with the bolster. Then drill and tap the hole to accept a screw for new trucks. Body mount some kadee #5, and you should be on your way. You may have to file of some of the bolster to get the coupler height correct.

8. Kerrskountry

Kerrskountry New Member

Thanks for the help and info. I received these cars as a gift from a non-model railroader so I will make due and experiment with these upgrades. Why they still make horn hooks remains to be seen. Is there a reason fpr truck mounts???
  9. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

They're cheap and easy to make.
  10. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The reason for the truck mounted couplers is that they will operate on a tighter radius than body mounted couplers, especially on long cars like passenger cars. The problem is that body mounted couplers swing to the outside of a curve while the truck mounts follow the track center in a curve. The other problem is that if you try backing truck mounted couplers will push the trucks to the outside of the track and derail to the outside of curves.
  11. CCT70

CCT70 Member

I have had very good success with Tyco conversions. They are almost the exact same as the Model Power trucks. The key was to replace the wheels with metal wheels (I use Intermountain wheels only) and then going after the couplers. Sometimes, I cut off the coupler box from the Tyco truck and body mount #5's in Kadee boxes, sometimes, I use a #28 conversion kit with copper spring in the original Tyco box. They work just fine. I have several flat cars with pulpwood loads, reefers and tank cars and this conversion has worked well for me. No issues with derailments.