Horn/bell activation w/post-war transformers?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Elcoholic, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Elcoholic

Elcoholic New Member

Does anyone know THE BEST way to activate the horns and bells on modern O gauge equipment using post-war Lionel transformers? If not, does anyone want to buy about a dozen of them?
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I can’t give you a definitive answer but I can share my experience. I have a Lionel SW 130 watt transformer. It will operate my new locomotive just find minus the rail sounds. However it will not activate any of my modern tenders. It does great with my older tenders; I do not have a clue why it will not operate my newer tenders.

[FONT=&quot]I do know that Lionel produces or did produce a separate horn / whistle button and a bell button. I am not sure if they will be able to operate the features you need though.[/FONT]
  3. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

This is correct. You can find the part # in a search of the trains.com Classic Toy Trains forum. The "sound activation" buttons are wired in series with your present PW transformer and do a nice job of working both the bell and horn/whistle on modern trains (leave the button on your transformer alone). I have also seen circuits to build your own - will look them up tonight. However, these sound activation units do nothing to operate RailSounds or other command functions.