Hoping to start a new career

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Glen Haasdyk, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Well, I did it. After several weeks of training and sweating it out over two writen tests and one road test I now have a Class 3 drivers liecence weith an air brake endorsment.
    What can I drive with a class three? Anything except busses, and tractor trailer units. So I'm looking for a job driving a gravel truck, dump truck, flat deck, cement truck, or garbage truck. I'm scouring the help ads and I do have a promising lead at a local waste disposal company, except they seem to want more of a mechanic than a driver. (I was an aircraft mechanic for 11 years.) I'd perfer to drive but the wage is 6$/hr more than I'm making now so I'll probably take it if nothing else comes along.
    In the spring I'm planning to upgrade to a class 1 which will let me drive the tractor-trailers and busses, not that I want to drive busses, I'd rather drive cargo that doesn't talk back to you!
  2. kadidle

kadidle Member

Glen, after driving both OTR and Busses (particularly for a company with a dog as it's logo.) I really enjoyed the bus more. I actually had very few problems with passangers, and can't think of a single time I got an overweight ticket. Of course cleaning my outfit could be interesting.

OTR was a blast, but once I got married it just wasn't possible with a family. Locol work frankly bored me, and I moved on to a different career. But I still look back at those days with fond memories.
  3. Glen Haasdyk

pardon my ignorance, but what is OTR?
    Oh yeah, I droped in at another waste disposal company and the personel director told me they were in the midst of a hiring spree so I'm hoping to get a call from them.
  4. KCS

KCS Member

OTR means Over The Road. Or long haul. In the U.S that Class 1 is considered a Commercial Drivers License but referred to as a CDL. At the age of 18 in Louisiana you can hold a CDL after a permit but being under the age of 21 means you can't drive a truck over 26,000lbs gross including combination vehicles. I've got a little under 6 months before I can go over to Diesel Driving Academy which has a terminal here in Shreveport. I'm not sure how far out they go but they are the best people to go threw for a CDL and guarantee you a job after your 4 week's of training. I've been riding cross country for year's and love it. "I'm no truck driver! I'm a non refrigerated load relocation engineer!" Picked that one up off the CB a couple years ago in Dallas, TX by another driver. It's good money if you go OTR with a good company and no family. Have fun and be careful though. Driving a truck ranks in the top 5 most dangerous jobs in the world. After every thing I've seen, I believe it.
  5. kadidle

kadidle Member

I agree with you about dangerous. Believe it or not, I felt safer climbing microwave towers then pulling into quite a few truck stops! Depending on the company, a lot of the guys in the States get a concealed weapons permit, or at least carry a firearm in the cab. I never did until I had an unfriendly visitor at 5:30 am after way too many hours, nothing ended up happening, except we both got a good workout, and he slept a little better then I did. :D
  6. interurban

interurban Active Member

Get youself down to the BC Hydro as it was calles in the 70s BC Transit now I believe.
    I have drove busses for 40 years 15 in the UK and 25 for the TTC in Toronto. (10years on streetcars ) (Trams)

Darn good benifits and Pension to boot.
    I can honestly say I have enjoyed most of that time.
    As the saying goes if you love your job you dont work a day in your life.

That`s my 2cents worth ,,,,and it`s worth a $. :D
  7. Glen Haasdyk

Thanks for the advice. Here in Canada we don't have to carry a weapon in the cab, we couldn't anyway since concealed weapons are illegal. The greatest danger I figure we face is the steep terain of BC. (Brake checks are a must!) I hope to get on a local outfit for a bit to get more experience. My driving instructor suggested I try to oil patch up in northern Alberta but I'm rather reluctant since I really hate cold and isolation and my wife probably wouldn't go for it.
  8. ausien

ausien Active Member

Congreats on the passing of your licence Glen, what ever you deside to do, I wish you the very best of luck... and remember.... keep the shinny side up...and its better to be a little late, than arrive dead on time..have a good one steve
  9. emt49

emt49 Member

I have my CDL A i have driven truck otr and its a tuff life moneys good.
    in the two years i did it i have never had any unwanted people in my truck.

now i dispatch an Ambulance companey thats right i drive a desk. :D
    there is alot of things i miss about driving truck and have been thinking about buying my own truck. and trying to make it work but it's still a pipe drime i am to worryed about not makeing any money and loseing it all.
  10. Glen Haasdyk

Thanks Steve, I've heard about the road-trains in Australia how many trailer do those guys pull across the outback?
    Actually a friend who got me intrested in driving just got his class 1 5 months ago. Right out of the gate he bought a baby freightliner with a small auto rack trailer (5 autos) and went to work hauling for his father-in-law. He says it's great.
    I would have gone for my class 1 right away but the cost is about 1000$ above the class 3 and my wife and I couldn't swing that right away. besides maybe a little exeprience before upgrading isn't such a bad thing.
  11. Oroka

Oroka Member

Next year I am getting my A-Z lisence and doing a year of longhaul with my father (A is Tractor trailer, and Z is airbrake endorsment). We are going to do team for a year, proably a produce run between California and BC, maybe do a few loads into Texas that that region.

I know locally you would make about $12-14 and hour driving a 5+ ton around here. Driving longhaul with my dad, I should beable to bank about $45k in one year. Then I might do another year, I might do something else. I really want to do an online business selling something. Takes money to make money.
  12. ausien

ausien Active Member

Road trains are on average 3 x 50'trailers, but 5 trailers is not unheard of,the first half of the first trailer is for carrying fuel and water....have a good one ..steve