HOn30 tank loco

Ray Marinaccio

Here are a few construction photos of the HOn30 tank loco I'm bashing from brass on a Bachmann Dockside chassis.
The chassis was stripped down to basically just the frame rails.
The axle bearing slots were enlarged so brass bushings could be installed and a larger motor installed.
Jul18_10.JPG

Ray Marinaccio

I built the cylinder block assembly next.
The cylinders are pieces of 1/4" brass tube with end caps soldered on.
The cross head guides are gold plated brass bars from an electrical connector on a PC board.
A piece of 1/4" wide channel, notched to fit over the frame and the 2 brass frame extensions is soldered between the cylinders.
The pilot beam was then soldered to the frame extensions and 1/4" square plates soldered above the valve chambers.
Jul18_07.JPG

Jul18_08.JPG

Jul18_09.JPG

Ray Marinaccio

The boiler was built up from a piece of 3/8" dia. brass tube with the next size smaller tube soldered inside for the smoke box. Cut outs for the worm and motor shaft were milled out.
The smoke box wrapper, smoke box front and the top of the boiler saddle are .005 brass sheet with rivets embossed one at a time.
The boiler saddle bottom was cut from 1/4" square brass tube.

Jul18_14.JPG

Jul18_04.JPG

Jul18_05.JPG

Ray Marinaccio

The tanks are .005" brass sheet embossed with rivets and soldered over a 1/4"brass channel as a frame.
The rivets were embossed in the cab walls, soldered together, then soldered to the boiler.
The cab roof was formed from .015" brass sheet and soldered in place.
The tanks were then soldered to the locomotive.

Jul19_09.JPG

Jul19_02.JPG

cnw1961

Ray, a small loco, but a great piece of work. Is there a prototype you use as a sample for your model?

MilesWestern

jawdrop WOW! Can you still find the bachmann dockside chassis anymore? That's really cool! I can't wait to see the finished product (or just even what detail parts you'll add!) Great job! :thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

Thanks everyone.
This model is based loosely on a loco used in the Philippines on sugar plantations.

Domes were made of solid brass on the Lathe and 1/16 square tube was soldered to the bottoms of the side cab walls for strength.

A cab support/rear pilot was made from 1/8" square brass tube and a couple pieces of brass angle.

Jul21_16.JPG

Jul21_12.JPG

Jul21_06.JPG

Jul21_21.JPG

Ray Marinaccio

I built this smoke stack with spark arrester today.
It has a total of 6 pieces, I still need to add the ash discharge tube and the bottom flange.

Jul22_07.JPG

shaygetz

I'm assuming that your little pufferbilly in the background is poppin' a wheelie in anticipation?:D

Love that onion bulb stack.:thumb:

doctorwayne

Nice work, Ray, on not just the stack, but the entire locomotive. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Wayne

Ray Marinaccio

Thanks guys.
Jim, I am using a home made embossing tool to make the rivets. The stack is made up of a total of 8 parts.
The bulb was a brass bead I found in the junk box. The flares with the rivets were the hard parts to make.
I cut out 2 washer from .005" brass, embossed the rivets, then formed the taper by pressing them onto a tubing flaring tool.
The lower portion of the stack is made from 2 pieces of tubing and a small ring of tubing completes the top.
I fit all the pieces together and held them together with a bolt and nut.
Once I got all the parts lined up I soldered them.
The ash discharge tube and bottom flange were soldered on after the stack was mounted on the locomotive.
Bob, adding the stack actually balanced the locomotive. With such a short wheelbase the loco's center of gravity will be critical.
It weighs in at close to 2 Ozs. already and I plan to fill the boiler and tanks with lead. Goin' to have to re enforce the trestles.

Dec19_09.JPG

Jul23_01.JPG

Ray Marinaccio

I've been working on the cross heads and side rods.
The cross heads are made from a piece of square tube, .010" brass plate and a piece of .030" brass rod.
The side rods are formed steel wire, soldered then filed to shape.
The main rods are cut and filed from .010" brass.
I also narrowed the drivers by .025" to give more clearance for the crank pins.

Aug02_01.JPG

Aug06_18.JPG

Aug06_13.JPG