Homer Alaska

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by lizzienewell, Mar 27, 2007.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I headed to south to Homer last weekend. Here are a few photos.
    Not many people out on the Homer Spit do the Eagles were there en mass. Somehow it's weird to see bald eagles sitting around like seagulls.

It was cold especially when I tried photographing one of my models right on the shoreline, and needed to kneel on wet sand. I've posted one of those photos on the ship forum.

I'm considering making a model of the cabin in one of these photos.

Attached Files:

2. papertrain

papertrain Member

Thank you for sharing those with us.:grin:
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Beautiful pictures Liz! Thanks for sharing them with us!
    The Bald Eagle pics are spectacular!
    I have never seen them congregate like that before, truly amazing!

That cabin scene would definitely make a good diorama!
    Did you happen to get a closer picture of the totem pole in front of it?

Looking at the scenery, I am really jealous of your location!
    I have always wanted to live in Alaska, being the nature lover that I am.

Again, thanks for the peek into your world!

4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I had to wear a blanket just to view the pics, but they are awesome!
  5. Wow in all the years I lived in Alaska and visited Homer Spit there were never that many or even one Bald Eagles to be seen in a group sitting, occassionally you'd spot one soaring high while driving south of Anchorage.

Homer Spit is a nice place and popular to fish in in the summer 8)
  6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Very nice pictures, Lizzie. Thanks! It's always a treat for me to see bald eagles. We have them here in NC, too, but it's rare to see one up close.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Great!!!!! I love the eagle pics :) Here in Wisconsin at Prairie Du Sac we wave some eagles. I have never seen more that 4 at once and not nearly so close! Its such a thrill seeing them dive down to get a fish. :D
    p.s. I would like to see a close up of the totem if you got one as well :)
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

The cabin is a rare original and has to be modeled for an HO layout. The gaggle of eagles is also a rare sight. Benjamin Franklin wanted the National Bird to be the Turkey but the Bald Eagle won out (thank goodness, or maybe that's what happened anyway).

The totem pole brings up an interesting idea, Paper Totem Poles. They associate spirits with a family's heritage amongst the Northwest Indians..., instead we could change the totem faces to indicate a story, something like stacked icons. With a large enough vocabulary this could become a popular hobby item...,

Thanks anyway for taking the time to share the images with us.

Best regards,

9. Maurice

Maurice Member

Can't remember fully (as I get older I find my memory is every bit as bad as it was when I was younger :grin:) but there was definitely a TV docu with eagle images like yours and in that location. They congregate because an old lady feeds them meat regularly and in large quantities. A cause of some controversy locally.

Thanks for the pictures. Always good to know how one of the other 6 billion live. :)

10. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

With the beauty of a mega pixel camera, here is a more detailed image of the totem pole. It's authetic Homer rather than authetic Native Alaskan. Homer is a sort of funky place, with lots of artwork and lots of junk.

I stayed in the Driftwood Inn that is also funky. The floor is all warped but the cabnetry was built to be level and plumb even though it's on a warped floor.

Attached Files:

11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks, Lizzie!
    That's a neat looking totem pole.
    Looks like a lighthouse at the top of it.

Now that it's blown up, one can tell it's not carved.
    Couldn't tell if it was original Native American in the original picture but it sure caught my eye!
    It is still a pretty piece of art work to me, though!:wink:

12. charliec

charliec Active Member

Nothing wrong with your memory Maurice - it was on ABC Foreign Correspondent last year. If I remember correctly the locals were upset about their town being plastered with large amounts of eagle sh*t. Perhaps they should try Brisbane and get their cars hit with bat sh*t from the flying foxes.

Of the two I'd take eagle - at least it doesn't eat into the car's paintwork.

13. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

These Eagles are the very ones congregating around the place where the Eagle Lady feeds them.
  14. gippolot

gippolot Member

Great photos Lizzie, eagles really are the most impressive looking creatures.

Your NOAA vessel on the rocks is really cute. Now that gives me an idea...

If you are interested in totem poles, here is a photo I took of one in Jasper a couple of years back.

Yes I know, never put the main object in the centre of the photo. But put an Australian in Canada in the dead of winter and our brains slow down due to thermal shock!

Agreed, never park a white car underneath a mulberry tree in Queensland. The stains don't come out.
  15. Triop

Triop Member

wow that thing is HUGE !

Nice pictures