Home made tools or jigs

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Dave Harris, Nov 29, 2008.

1. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Thanks Dave. That car is On3. Most of my work is On3, although I also work in HO some. I have misc pics on my blog (there's a link in my sig). I'm currently building 3 passenger cars. I'm getting close to the roof phase.

The roof, minus the ends and sheathing, took me a single evening. The beauty of working with styrene. The sheathing was 0.010" thick styrene which readily bends and holds the shape once glued.

I suppose that the best way to cut curves in brass would be to create some sort of turntable to use on a scroll saw, a nibbler, or a jeweler's saw.
  2. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

What I meant was use the jig to scribe identical cut lines on several pieces of brass. Or solder several pieces together , scribe them & cut all at once.
    I would cut them as I cut ALL my brass, with a dremel & a cut off disk. Yes, you can cut curves with a disk , IF you use the right one. In as much as I market "The Good Ones" brand cut off disks , I have gotten pretty good at using them. Tons of practice demonstrating how "Good" they are , you know.

3. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I need to build a few jigs for using my rotary tool to cut brass and pc board...turn it into a table saw.
  4. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

A trick not a jig, but involving a tool!

Not Even trains! a couple years ago I went stark raving bonkers and started buildin plank on frame model boats from scratch for R/C. I have run into technical dificulties on the R/C front, and mu budget has dried up, but I have two floating hulls.

On my first model, a Roman Bireme, I freehanded each rib on a scroll saw, which took for ever, and was not as acurate as I liked. My second hull is intended to be a side wheel steamer, and I realized that the ribs could be made up from straight tibers and a section of a pirfest circle.

Useing a hole saw in a drill press I'd cut a bunch of circles out of a thin board of poplar. that would make a circle with a hole in the center. I'd hold each disk with an oil filter pliers, which has circular jaws, and line up another hole saw, two sizes smaller than the first, with the central hole made by the centering drill bit, and cut out a perfect circle! Different hole saw combinations can be used to cut different sized circles. Theoretically this would work with brass, but the hard part is holding the circle still. You have to make the outside cut first, or you loose your centering hole; and holding that sircle still, as the hole saw bites into it is a bugerbear.

The first photo shows a circle thus produced, and sections there of, on a cutting board with some of my cutting jigs on it. this one seems to be dual use, with some for model trains and some for shipbuilding.

The second photo shows the hull of the steamer taking shape, and the plans for the plastic kit, to give an idea of what I'm aiming for.

The third photo shows the carpentry tool that I used to rip the lines of the plastic hull that I used in place of plans.

The fourth shows my Bireme, I used the same trick to cut the little circular exposed ribs.

I sure have been enjoying this thread. the celestory roof is beautiful

Bill Nelson

Attached Files:

5. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Very nice one Bill!
  6. AresAir

AresAir New Member

Dave, I'd like to see the application of the jig relative to making log cars . Many thanks...

7. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Right now I don't have a clue as to where it is, I did keep it but I have not built a log car in 10 years. The jig is pictured at the beginning of this thread.
    To use it I slipped a piece of brass strip into the notch in the square tube on the side to hold it while it was bent to follow the contour of the jig .This insured that all supports were the same
  8. Bill Nelson

log load jig

building up a log load like I use, with binder chains and a binder log can be tedious. The way my operation is set up, there could be as may as to thirty loaded logs on the layout at any given time.

I make logs out of crepe myrtle sticks, when the bushes are cut down to the ground every winter.

The jig is real simple, I use bamboo skewers and toothpicks stuck into pink foam insulation board to hold the log load in shape. I use existing log loads to space the skewers, and before production, I'll cover the foam with wax paper, so if glue drips the load wont stick to the foam.

I glue the center of the binder chain in place under the binder log, and just let the ends flap (making sure there is enough to tuck under the load, and secure with glue later, after the logs are glued together.

Many long years ago I used loose loads, but had log load shift, causing clearance problems which turned into derailments quickly. the glued together log loads allow me to get the binder chain set up looking right, and get bigger log loads, so it looks like we are getting the most possible logs moved on any given log train

When we get the sawmill in at the club, I'll have to start making log loads for there as well, I don't even have enough for at home.

Bill Nelson

Attached Files:

9. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Bill, those creepy myrtle sticks sure make nice logs! We have some creepy things out here in the Nevada desert but myrtle is a pretty nice gal.
  10. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

My Cutting Boards

Here is 3 pics of my homemade chopper.
    Sheet styrene cutting Board.
    A little miter saw I picked up at a swap meet.

Attached Files:

11. Bill Nelson

That chopper looks heavy duty! I'm taking notes. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Nelson.
  12. thumsup

thumsup Member

Very nice. Your post kicked the brain into gear, Thanks:thumb:

13. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

Thanks Bill & Joe for viewing.