Home made laser paper cutter!

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Steve Shaw, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Steve Shaw

Steve Shaw Member

2. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

3. dr_hemlock2

dr_hemlock2 New Member

thanks for link

this helped me out in a whole lot of ways.
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Hmmm. I'm guessing that you could probably use the diode from a DVD burner to give it more "oomph"...

But yeah, if you could get this to work with regular paper/cardstock, that would be awesome!
  5. bclemens

bclemens Member

I'm an electronics guy- so this is very intriguing and accessible to me. But I can't help but think- that's a LOT of time and effort NOT making paper models! :mrgreen:
    I'll stick with the ol' Xacto...
  6. DHL

DHL Member

nice idea:cool:
  7. dwfunk4475

dwfunk4475 New Member

Now this sparks some ideas . . .
  8. Lord Manimal

Lord Manimal Member

This is pretty awesome, but you can also get a silhouette SD that is already there, complete with software.
  9. Harlique

Harlique New Member

Why am I waiting for someone to accidently etch a design into their ceiling with this?
  10. Bencool141

Bencool141 New Member

why do I get the idea my brother will end up pointing this at me....
  11. xsoul

xsoul New Member

I know this thread is kinda old, but I just thought I put my two cents about a laser setup since its one of my area of expertise and not many are. In Instructables, he was using a 200mW red laser. That's weak... it will ONLY burn black paper, at a very slow rate. Granted the instructions was posted over 3 years ago and more powerful diodes are now available at the mentioned price, but even with a 1W laser, it's gonna cut paper really badly. For the idea of a simple stencil it's ok, but for paper models, it's gonna suck. It burns so slowly at such a wide wavelength, that your edges are going to be very rough and burnt.

To cut paper with a laser effectively, you need a very focused laser. And let's just say if the laser is at a wavelength that you can see with the naked eye, it's not good enough to cut, burn maybe, but not cut. Needs a fast plotter, as the longer the laser is in one area, the higher chance it will burn it. A way to hold the paper down, like a vacuum table as the paper WILL curl from the laser cutting and if there is smoke, it will discolor the paper. Even then, a laser is not very good at cutting paper in most situations when there are better automated alternatives. Cool to show off though.... =)
  12. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter New Member

For me, cutting the paper with an xacto blade is half of the fun. I find it relaxing.
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I plan on purchasing the new model within the next month. My Spinal Cord injury affects my hands and cutting is one of the reasons I have come to a stop on paper models. I do think, when I was able, the cutting was relaxing and sometimes you would think about all kinds of things, but I can't do that any more. Cutting that is, though thinking is a bit of a challenge too.