Home made car loads

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by kb1ejw, Jan 19, 2007.

1. kb1ejw

kb1ejw New Member

Greetings all;

I am looking for ideas on home-made car loads. This might belong under the scratch-building area, but I figured some of you may not scratch-build but might make your own loads..Just wondering what some of you have made up in the past; what materials you used, how it came out.

For instance, I have a cup of old dry ballast here from my HO module w/ glue mixed in.. not good enough to reuse on the tracks, but I'm cheap hamrand figured I would find a use for it.
    I would like to use it as a hopper load.. not sure what to put under is though (seems it would take a lot of wet-water and glue to make it solid enough to keep together between shows) I have some gondolas that need some loads. I figured instead of buying some.. why not make some? Any input is appreciated..
    BTW- I am particularly interested in MOW loads..

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

As strange as it may seem, search for "eoad" (yes, that's with an "e") for various loads made by people here.

I see you are relatively new to The Gauge, so welcome! :D You'll figure out the "Gaugespeak" after a short time with us... ;)

3. jtloconut

jtloconut Member

Try foam cut to car size ( to fit inside) then taper the top to look like a load. Spray paint Black for coal, gray for stone. then spray glue and coat with coal or stone.then recoat with paint let dry and place into car.
  4. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I have used ballast in hoppers and spary painted that black to simulate coal.

Soda straws make a good load of pipe.
  5. slagpot

slagpot Member

Shoot....theres a bunch of everday things you can use for loads. Like the metal gears out of an old printer...weather them and mount them on a flatcar with rigging. Then theres equipment loads,such as machinery or heavy equipment.

How about gondola loads...lets see,hmmmm,alright.Everybody i know in this hobby has a scrap box. Why not cut up a bunch of the parts,weather them and then glue them in place inside the gondola.

Heck you can make blocks of plaster,about the size of a nickel and call them marble slabs.Of coarse you have to weather them,put hey its cheap and easy to make.

Steel slabs ride in both flats and gondolas and these are real easy to make. As a mater of fact Peachcreekshops.com in their steel mill kit section,has steel slab loads for sale cheap.

If these ideas aren't enough I have more.

Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}
  6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I saw these shocks from a broken toy truck and thought they'd make a great load. I painted them primer red and scratchbuilt a crate around them then used the point of a sharp pencil to impress fasteners into the wood.

7. jtloconut

jtloconut Member

Also you can take heavy duty foil. Paint 5 or 6 different rust to brown shades. Let dry. Use blender to grind up. makes great steel scrap.
  8. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I recall seeing a photo in Model Railroader of a heavy flat car load that was made of men's razor components painted yellow, crated, and labled with the Catepillar name. Seems like a little creativity and some odd spare parts will do the trick!

9. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

I have a pile of "scrap" concrete ties left over from trimming down felx track that I fully intend to use on a tie car I have yet to built.
  10. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Most landscaping places sell or will give you soapstone (talc) blocks that are used to draw lines on stone. They are about the size of half a stick of gum... these make great limestone blocks, steps and walkways. Old fashioned hardware stores sell them too.
  11. kb1ejw

kb1ejw New Member

All great ideas.. thank you all for the response. I'll poke around here and see what I can find..
  12. brakie

brakie Active Member

I have used plastic drinking straws for pipe loads and box matches with the head cut off for the 2x4s between the pipe..I paint the straws black or light blue.For smaller pipe I use the round coffee stirrers.For covered lumber loads for bulkhead flat cars I use a square balsa wood that I cut to fit the car and then wrap it in a piece of trash bag.
  13. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Dont forget wheels and axles rust painted for scrap loads and cut up sections of cars.
  14. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

If you replace your plastic wheel sets with metal wheels, save the old plastic wheelsets. File the point off each end of the axle to make a prototypical looking axle, weather them with a little surface rust color, and load up a flat car with wheels headed to your car repair shop on your railroad.
  15. Wow! What great ideas. I would never had thought of using straws or coffee stirrer not to mention some of the stuff I have laying around that I thought should be thrown can be put to use to make loads. Terrific stuff.
  16. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member