homade plaster cloth

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Most people who use "home made plaster cloth" actually use paper towels dipped in wet plaster for their hard shell rather than cloth. It is messy, but much less expensive than the store bought stuff.

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Most people who use "home made plaster cloth" actually use paper towels dipped in wet plaster for their hard shell rather than cloth. It is messy, but much less expensive than the store bought stuff.

Not to be rude. I know it will be messy and hate the wording on woodlands scenics package of it that says "no mess".
The thing is just want to make some plaster and don't want to buy plaster.

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Thanks beamish. I am a bit iffy about food products myself, but am not too worried. I don't have an insect problem and doubt this cats will try to eat it. :mrgreen:

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Most people don't like the commercial plaster cloth material because it's "too messy", because they add too much water.

I used to put casts on people as part of my medical practice - exact same stuff - and there is an art to using it. It isn't just "dip and drip". You titrate the water you allow to absorb in the material depending on what you want to do with it.

As for "mess", I used to apply casts while in my Class A uniform. It's a skill like any other. The more you do it, the better you get.

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
What I was planning was to make some hills with balled up aluminum foil and wanted something to spread on it that would take paint well and be able to bake withought starting a fire.

I would just buy sculptamold but I am flat broke at the moment. I should have bought some the other day when I was at the hobby shop and had money. wall1

Time to try it out. I will let you know how it works. I am going to add a little soil also since it is not going to be eaten. :mrgreen: