Holes, and how to fill them?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
What do you use for filling holes in plastic (styrene?) models. I am undertaking my first major scratch-bash - a galloping goose of sorts - and have holes to fill in the boxcab diesel roof I am using.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Andrew

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Most commomly used would be the various brands of putty. That's what I use. I've been told however that a superior way is to melt styrene shavings in styrene adhesive, it takes a while to thouroughly soften. It should be fairly thick. It will also take longer to dry on the model than putty. It's advantage, so I'm told, is that it will not shrink as putty does, and sands at the same rate, being the same material as the model. I have not tried it yet.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Actually, I didn't read the question correctly. For a hole, you can use sprue material or styrene rod. Drill out the hole to the size rod or sprue you have for a press fit, install and sand. Glue from inside.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Gary,

Actually both responses are useful. In addition to the holes, I have some other "gaps" to fill where I have joined sections of box car bodies together. The putty would be most useful for this.

Do you have a (name brand) recommendation? Is it wood-filler type putty or other?

Andrew

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Andrew,
what sort of holes do you mean?

Big holes (like a cutout for a removed diesel ventilator housing): Cut a piece of styrene sheet to fill the hole, then glue it in place with thin strips of styrene below the gaps to give enough glueing surface for holding the pieces together. Most probably there will be more or less visible gaps between the car shell and the inserted piece. This brings us to...

Small holes (gaps, holes for removed detail parts like diesel horns...). I'll second Gary here: Use a good brand of plastic putty - like Squadron's Green Putty. A very good source for that stuff is a hobby shop which specializes in plastic model kits.

As Gary said, putty shrinks somewhat. Therefore it is important to put not too much of it into the gap/hole. Let dry, then apply some more etc., until the gap is slightly overfilled. When dry, sand down the slight ridge. Needs perhaps a little more time, but finally turns out just perfect. :cool:

However, I for myself wouldn't go for the method with dissolved styrene. I tried it a few years back (when I was modelling racing cars), and boy, what a mess I got! Might be that I made something wrong, but I ended up with spiderweb-like styrene threads all over the place, sticking to everything - and almost ruining my model: Instead of getting hard, the self-made-goo softened up the parts of the kit, so the modified motor hood began to droop... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Perhaps somebody of you Gaugers had better luck with that stuff. If so, please let us know how to do it properly! :D :D :D

Ron

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by RailRon
Andrew,
what sort of holes do you mean?

Big holes (like a cutout for a removed diesel ventilator housing): Cut a piece of styrene sheet to fill the hole, then glue it in place with thin strips of styrene below the gaps to give enough glueing surface for holding the pieces together. Most probably there will be more or less visible gaps between the car shell and the inserted piece. This brings us to...

Small holes (gaps, holes for removed detail parts like diesel horns...). I'll second Gary here: Use a good brand of plastic putty - like Squadron's Green Putty. A very good source for that stuff is a hobby shop which specializes in plastic model kits.

It is the small holes for detail parts (and a few small gaps where edges were not as square as I thought - oops!) that I have to fill - thanks for the clarification on the putty.

Andrew

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
I fill the detail holes by taking a plastic sprue and heating a small section over a match or lighter just enough to soften it, then I slowly stretch it thin, ensuring that it doesn't break.
When it cools, I cut it at its thinest part and place it in the hole from the top (outside), apply a small amount of glue with a brush, pull tight and let dry, after which you cut off the sprue and sand smooth.
Hope this helps.

Terry

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Squadron Green putty, can be used to fill even the smallest scratches, by using Testors liquid palstic cement as a thinner.
I apply the putty, and then dip the applicator (whatever tool you choose to apply putty) in the Testors, and smooth out the surface of the putty. I usually wet sand the putty once it has dried.
Pete