Hold on we are going for a ride

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by lester perry, Mar 8, 2006.

1. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

Looks rather scary to me. But they do it day after day.
  2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Now that, that's a hill! What's the percentage of grade, Lester? And who makes that loco? Quite a change from Alleghenies, but a good-looking scene nevertheless.

3. Dragon

Dragon Member

Looks like an MDC Shay on maybe a 5% grade?
    Awesome pic!
  4. Art67

Art67 Member

Holy Moly! I am wondering what the timetable special instructions say about setting those retaining valves! Hell, I'd even balance the train at the summit and do a break test before taking on that hill. Great photo, Lester. Stuart
  5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Yikes! After one run like that I'd hire out with the Rock Island Line in the Midwestern flat lands! :)
  6. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

It is an MDC, I have no idea what the grade is. I wanted to be limited to 2 cars and a bobber caboose. So I put track on a board powered it put Shey 2 cars and bobber caboose on track. Got train moveing started lifting the board when it stalled that was it. Measured the hight and used it on layout now my J&M short line will work yor a** off. It services a large sawmill an oil well and small coal mine. There is no passing sideings but there is a Y on top of the mountain now use your imagination and you might get close to the nightmare. Oh yea there is a snall yard half way up the mountain but it is only accessable from one end so yo can't pass yor train.