Hodge-Podge

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I came up with this N scale layout for a room in the house that would get more attention and be more conservitive than my dream layout. The grid is 6".

I'm not sure about the industrial area. Is it a workable switch yard or just a bunch of track going every which directions? Your input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• benchwork2.1.jpg
    benchwork2.1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 228

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
I assume that the black is the mainline.

I think that the side that is the right in one picture and the top in the other, the one with the diamond is no problem to work.

The other ide is a little confusing to me, but that may be because I do not understand your intent. What is the purpose of the cutoffs to the main from the ends of the spurs?

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Hi Tad
You are correct, the black is the mainline and the second picture was rotated to show out better. This is the layout oriented to match the closeup. The red box shows the location of the closeup.

Attachments

• benchwork2.1-90l.jpg
    benchwork2.1-90l.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 193

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
First lets call that track by its proper name..That is a industrial area not a yard..:D Ok,now then. Yes that is a workable industrial area and one that is true to some prototype locations.
Now those yards marked staging is crying for help.:eek:
Unless you like to back your trains into the lower yard then you will need to add a inbound /outbound track..If you like to back your train out of the top yard you will need another inbound/outbound track there as well.Not to mention your locomotive will be trapped with no way to get them to the engine servicing area..Now if you add those 2 tracks then you will have a great layout that will be a pleasure to operate your trains on..:D :D

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Thanks Larry for your comments on my industrial area, and the correction of my termenology. :D :D
As for the stageing yards, I was following the ideas in Byron Henderson's article in Model Railroad Planning 2004, "X Factor Staging." Yes, it does involve backing trains into one staging yard from the other one. It seemed like a good solution for storing the maximum amount of rolling stock in the limited space available. However after closer examination I realized that I neglected to include the X. :eek: :eek: :eek: I'll do some more thinking and see if I can't get it to work better.