Hobby scale calculator

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by SCEtoAux, Feb 14, 2005.

1. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I found this calculator that has a bunch of different scale conversions. Not sure if it is known to the group or not but figured it could be useful to someone.
    Hobby Calculator

2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Neat gadget - particularly usefule, it would seem, to convert decimal inches or metric to fractions of inches, which is difficult otherwise. Communcating comparisons of dimensions of paper and wire gauge on this site comes to mind. - Leif
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yep, that is one thing that can be done. It looks like it would be a great help in converting from one scale to another.

Checking the outputs from the Hobby Calculator and this one ScaleMaster give almost identical results. The only difference is the rounding of figures is a very little bit off.
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

if your comfortable entering data in an excel spreadsheet, I develeoped this
    sheet a while ago that does that on steroids:

this example shows how you can use my spreadsheet to document an object
    and get multiple scale figures in multiple units of measure.

I entered the data for the saturn V, labeled it, and then set the flags for
    what scale I want the conversion, and what unit type. It has two seperate caluclation columns so you can compare results, aka deciding should the mode be 144 or 96. lots of times I will set both outputs to the same scale and change the units of measure so I don't have bother converting from inches to centimeters.

I save the file for each model, and as a result it becomes a document on
    the parts. for the next model, I erase the data sections, and start new.