HO with HOn3 Combined on one Layout?

Mastiffdog

Sep 7, 2003
Since I can see that everyone is now bored with the other threads, I thought I might ask a real question. My layout is 8x8 all HO Shinohara Code 83 and 70. I am planning to build a 2 1/2 x 10 "L" leg on the 8x8. I was thinking about HOn3 on the new leg. My 8x8 is 1900's to 1930's era.

If this is a prototypical extension to my layout, should I use all dual gauge or just HOn3 track? And should I stick with the Shinohara or switch to another brand, i.e. Micro Engineering, et al.

I appreciate your responses

Dog

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I would not use all dual gauge track. I don't know if you are following a prototype or freelancing. Various prototypes did as many different methods as you could think of. Some used dual gauge in transition areas between narrow gauge and standard gauge. Some changed the loads from narrow gauge cars to standard gauge cars. Some changed the trucks from narrow gauge to standard gauge on the same car.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Mmmmmmmm...Narrow Gauge!

How about a narrow gauge interchange, with your HOn3 as a logging or mining branch? Many NG lines were done just this way. I do beleive that Pete (Sumpter 250) has an HO / HOn3 layout, and will offer fine insight for you.

My layout, albeit in O scale, "simulates" a 3-foot narrow gauge line with a connection to a 30 inch logging and mining line. If I have the room, I would also like to include an O scale standard gauge interchange with the "simulated" 3 foot NG line. If I do manage this, I feel that I can easily get away with just having a long enough track to park a standard gauge boxcar, to draw attention to the fact that this is the end of a standard gauge spur.

-- I say "simulated" here, as my 3 foot gauge is actaully On30, but I'm pretending that it is 3 feet wide by running the slightly larger NG rolling stock, and running the wee stuff on the 30 inch line. ...Am I babbling?:eek:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I agree with Russ, a little dual gauge is all that's needed, if at all. I'll probably just keep my seperate, since HO/HOn30 is not available. Unless of course, I decide to do some hand laying. I think it woould look better with most or all of the NG doing it's own thing, winding up into the hills.

Also, have you priced that stuff :eek:

Dual Gauge search at 1stplace

I have, somewhere :confused: , a dual gauge turnout plan. You have to lay it yourself, but it seperates the NG from SG with no moving parts. So when your NG comes off the dual gauge track and hits the turnout, it's directed off to the NG track, and when your SG hits it, it goes to the standard HO. Looks not hard to do, not compared to a regular turnout. e-mail me if you want the plan, and I'll have Superdawg dig for it and send it out.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I'm just thinking that the absence of dual gauge or transition trackage would lead to more possbilities for both gauges.

Example: Timber is brought to the mill via the NG but leaves to the outside world as finished lumber via SG. Sorta gives an excuse for the best of both worlds.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Well, Vic, it's hardly a "layout", but it is dual gauge HO/HOn3, all 12' of it.
I would recommend keeping the dual gauge down to a minimum. Commercial dual gauge track is EXpensive, to say the least, and handlaying dual gauge is not really for the beginner,or faint-of-heart.
The interchange:
If transshipment, from narrow to standard, and vice/versa, would provide some interesting modeling opportunities. Freight houses with standard track on one side, and narrow on the other. Narrow, trestled up over standard, to dump loads from narrow to standard. A coaling tower dumping to standard on one side, narrow on the other, same thing for a water tank.
If changing trucks (EBT did this) you'd need at least some dual gauge track. Also for two way transshipments, youd need dual gauge track.
Trackwork:
I'd recommend commercial turnouts, and standard gauge flex track, with the extra track for the narrow gauge added in by hand.
Hope this helps,
Pete