HO Vintage Marklin Prices

modelmaker9

Anyone know of a good place to get prices for the vintage marklin trains. I am talking about the ones that come in the red boxes and are like 50 years old. Ebay is the only place I have found. But those prices are nuts!! Too cheap. U.S dollar would be nice thanks

pgandw

I think you'll find eBay to a pretty accurate gauge (final selling prices of auctions, not opening prices) of what the market will bear. If anything, eBay prices are high due to "auction fever". Selling prices at eBay are usually higher than actual prices paid at shows than other venues. EBay prices do tend to rise in October and November, dip a little in the winter, and dip some more in the spring and summer.

Unfortunately, the whole toy and model train collectible market is (and has been) trending downwards since the '90s due to the aging of collectors (more collections coming on the market every year) and the production of new model trains, which although not as collectible, are often more desirable to the operator (shrinks the buying market again). Adding to the downward price pressure (in the U.S. anyway) are the impact of higher oil prices rippling through the economy and the bursting of the real estate bubble in many areas.

In general, I find the published price guides to be high, assuming a condition that doesn't often exist. But this helps fuel the optimism of owners who think their collection is really valuable.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, and is just my opinion based on what I have observed in the postwar Lionel and HO brass markets. Your mileage may vary. I'm just the opposite. I had low expectations liquidating my father's HO collection, and was very pleasantly surprised at the prices I received, and the money I was able to give him.

Pooh Bah
Marklin in North America does not have a large following or demand. Probably a combination of the non-standard 3-rail AC power and the European trains. In Europe it's probably the reverse -- lots of supply.