HO verses O scale

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by gfmucci, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

That's all I can say.
    Just...... Wow.
  2. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

I am in O scale after years of HO and I prefer it now. Pop over and see what I have done and maybe that will help you out. :)
  3. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

Don't be afraid of those details. Most of them are pretty easy to do, you'd be surprised. No matter which scale you choose, you will probably want to try some detailed scenes.

Both scales despite the costs are pretty much the same in the final product, and you get pretty much the same thing in either size. I'd still push for HO, because not only is it cheaper, you have a whole lot more options as far as track plans go in your area you can work with.

I feel that the size of your room might not give you as much railroad as you might like.

However, if you have the money, and think you have a good enough track plan, go for O!
  4. Battle

Battle New Member

Just remember, It is a hobby. Do what you enjoy, not what "everyone else" says to do.
  5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Well, that, of course, is the ultimate answer. :thumb:
    Welcome Battle, by the way! :wave:
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Just to throw another wrench into the gears. :D Have you considered S? I have both 3-Rail and 2-Rail O. I also model in S scale, with Kadee couplers and code 100 track. :) I leave the HO to my boys who want equipment not available in S. Like the previous posters stated, it's what you want to do and enjoy. In high school I collected Lionel. When there was a car Lionel didn't make, I scratch built it. I made my own heavy weight business car, long flat cars and even a NP wooden caboose. So either scale can provide you with modeling and running.

7. hilldrum

hilldrum Member

Hey...I'm a drummer too, and yah know I feel the same way. But I prefer to model in O-scale because the closest (and Cheapest transportaion wise) thing to me is Todd's Train Depot in Wendell and she is only an O and some G-Scale dealer.
  8. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

On Monday evenings the RFD channel on DirecTV has some train programing. Occasionally they show some great Lionel layouts.
  9. Geno

Geno Member

This debate is as vaild as the MTH vs. Lionel one- it's really whatever you prefer. Both have their attributes and shortfalls, so it really boils down to what you like.

HO does have cost and space on its' side, but O has the visual impact of its size and sound impression. And O is easier to see, which makes it attract more attention in general. Of course, that also depends on the viewers.

Both scales are equal in terms of equipment availability and realism- so the choice of which guage to choose really comes down to which one suits your needs best.

10. Cannonball

Actually, HO doesn't have space on it's side. a full circle of HO track engulfs an O27 track.
    Now if we're talking N scale.... There's the hands down winner for space and money.
  11. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

I have to agree with you. But N scale dispite it's size can be very costly!
  12. Cannonball

I suppose it's what you're into. I can see where the DCC and higher end stuff would be up there but there are some nice little Z starters out ther for less than $100.00 And flex track is fairly inexpensive.
  13. green_elite_cab

yeah... but at a cost to realism. if a person wants realism, then o27 track is completely out.
  14. Cannonball

Well, they are toys after all...... ;) :D
  15. green_elite_cab

O27 are toys. HO is Scale replicas:rolleyes:
  16. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

Is the Hobby House in Hendersonville primarily an HO dealer?
  17. Cannonball

Yeah, yeah.... tell that to my daughter. :p :D
  18. Geno

Geno Member

Where did the idea that O gauge is only toy trains come from? You only have to go on the Altas O website or pick up a copy of O gauge trains to see that real 2-rail O scale is alive and well.

HO probably has the most hobbyists, but O scale is also enjoying a comeback due to the overall growth of both 2 and 3-rail O gauge. And while O scale is often known for 3-rail toy trains, over half of that segment has gone over to 'hirail'- scale models on more realistically- sized 3-rail track.

And if there is doubt that O gaugers cannot model realistically, pick up a copy of O Gauge Railroading. You'll find plenty of 2 and 3-rail layouts that compare to any large HO pike.

19. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

hamr Geno - I couldn't have said it better myself.
  20. rgs455

rgs455 New Member

This thread has proven to be very informative for me. I am considering getting back into the hobby after a 25 year absence. I have HO from the 60's, 70's & 80's was debating whether to get those trains out of hibernation or go with new. A good friend of mine in Denver is into O gauge and suggested Lionel and MTH.