HO Unitrack #4 switches for On30 DCC

Traincrazee

I plan to use Kato Unitrack #4 switches (P/N 2850 and 2851) with my On30 DCC based layout, but those particular switches operate only in Power Routing mode. Power Routing is a benefit to analog users, but I'd prefer all routes powered with DCC. Have any of you converted such switches to be more "DCC friendly"? If so how? Thanks. TC

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Unitrak turnouts 2-84 and 2-841 are "selectable" between power-routing or not. They do not (according the www.katousa.com) have the switch machine built in, but that's a tradeoff you might want to make. Roadbed track is sometimes quite difficult to modify, especially if the underside is closed-in.

The other thing you will find is that the appearance of HO track with On30 equipment is not right - the ties appear too small, and too close together.

Lighthorseman has a few threads about track for On30:

http://www.the-gauge.com/thread4240-handlaid-on30-track.html

Sorry - can't find the other right now, but I'll post a link when I find it...

Andrew

Traincrazee

Yes thanks, the 2840 and 2841 have selectable modes as do 2860 and 2861. However, the 284X series are 19.25" radius and manual (you can add power), and the 286X are 34.125" radius (powered). I like/prefer the 21-5/8" radius of the 285X. If only..........

Pooh Bah
The first step around the power routing feature is to put insulated gaps beyond the frog and extra feeders on the rails beyond them.
If you get little shorts at the points, you need to do surgery on the turnouts and add an electrical switch (if they don't have one now.)

Traincrazee

I found out from calling Kato and asking around that all I need to do is install Kato Insulated Unijoiners on both rails that exit the "V" or crotch of a #4 turnout and run power leads to the tracks that connect (i.e. run between) any such outfitted turnouts. TC