HO train novice...

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by 88gtguy, Apr 6, 2005.

1. 88gtguy

88gtguy New Member

Hi all.
    I have come across a box of old HO scale train stuff. How do you go about dating trains????
    I'd like to know what I have here. All I know is that it's been in the garage for AT LEAST 15 years, and god only knows how old these things actually are!
    Looks like all trains and cars are in thier original boxes, so it should be easier. But I'm at a loss as to where to start. TYCO seems to be the majority of them but there are AHM stuff too.

for example. AHM train, the label on the side of the box reads:

MDT Diesel
    5001 C Santa Fe
    made in Yugoslavia

Thanks for any help
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge. :wave:

For the most part, the rule in HO is, "Old does not necessarily mean valuable." With that in mind, AHM/Rivarossi steam engines and passenger cars have a good to excellent resale value, their diesels and freight cars generally do not. If you have the very rare AHM/Pocher Abraham Lincoln Funeral car, you're looking at $80-100. Tyco is very low end however, there is a small but not very lucrative collector market out there >>> http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrains/index.html Original boxes help a little but they must be in pristine condition.

Hope this helps. Blessings, BC
  4. 88gtguy

88gtguy New Member

Thanks, this is more of a "what do I have" thing more than a "I'm going to be rich " thing.
    I can't imagine any of this stuff would be rare by any stretch, I just wonder when it was made.

Thanks again for the links, I'll surf around and see if I can't get some info!!!