HO Train Layout

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
Loren....Thanks for your reply. The tables are those that were used in a lab in one of the schools that was torn down.:mad: They are oak and the black things on the legs are metal collars that are used to secure the tables to the floor. The Top was one inch slate which I sold to someone at the sale.....Real Heavy. I put the tops on from material I had around home.

:wave:Ocalicreek.......I am able to reach the layout from all sides. Thanks for your reply

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Ocalicreek.......I am able to reach the layout from all sides.

...right now, with no trains, etc. on the layout. But once a tunnel goes across the back corner and some detailed scenery (prone to the dreaded 'leanover shirt snags') goes in front it may be hazardous to reach across the layout. UNLESS it's very low and your arms are very long, OR you've got some access to the back side not apparant in your pictures. You won't want to slide those heavy tables around to get in behind them more than once. Been there done that. Just trying to avoid some potential headaches down the road.

Still, looking forward to your progress, and wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
Galen thanks for your thoughts and I appreciate your input. I'll keep all those points in mind and if I run into trouble as stated I'll have to say...."HE TOLD ME SO":yep:

wkehr

Apr 25, 2006
interesting to grandson

I'm working on a layout plan that will eventually be run by an eight year old. I have to keep reminding myself what was interesting about the train my father bought when I was a child. The first train was a Lionel and the my favorite thing was that the giraffe had his head sticking out of a hole in the roof of the box car. The giraff would duck his head to let the car pass under a bar that was too low. I also liked the ping pong ball that would float in the air over the car and I liked the fact that the track would come up the trestle and pass over itself. Prototypical operation was low on the priority list.

The layout I'm planning won't have giraffes or floating ping pong balls, but I'm still keeping the thought that I should have lots of "action" on the layout. So my first design consideration is that there will be no long cars on the layout. This allows me to put more cars in a train of a given length and use tighter curves.

Tighter curves make it easier to put more activity on the layout. One thing I found is that when laying out parallel tracks that curve, use the same size curve radius for both curves instead of a smaller radius on the inside. This allows the layout to maintain the minimum radius no matter how many parallel tracks there are. Also, this causes the track to be further apart on the curve than on the straight, helping to match the fact that the trains need more clearance on curves. The sharper the curves, the more important is including easements into the curves. An easement is a gradual change of the track from straight to the required curve. This article has templates for easements Model Railroader Magazine - Model Railroading, Trains, Track Plans - Laying out an easement with Model Railroader templates

You might want to model a European or Brittish train. There are many trains with shorter freight and passenger cars.

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
Has anyone used a product called "Zeenery" for landscaping on your layouts? I acquired a box of the stuff with other items but have never heard of this material before. It is really light and sorta resembles corn cobb beads. No instructions with it and would like to use it if anyone can provide info. Thanks

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
:wave:. Well I am still at it!! Working on our layout and am making some progress although it doesn't seem like I am going to have the room that I thought I would end up with. Toooooo Much Stuff. I am having a great time doing and redoing things as I go along........enjoy the challange:thumb:

I just wanted to share something that I have been using that might assist others. I have ecountered some problems with the inclines on our track,..... was having a time leveling things out. I was at the Harber Freight Tools Store one day and accidently ran across Item 96715 Floor Installation Spacers (50 to a box). They are 2-5/16"L x 1-3/16"W, small end: 3/32"H, Large end: 5/16. They are black vinyl (basic shims) and have helped me solve one of my problems. Just thought someone might be interested....a little idea from someone who has gotten a wealth of helpful information from all you fine folks. Thanks again allannounce1

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
Well I finally got someone to take some pictures to show the progress on out layout. I am still not done but the kids are having fun running the trains and playing with the cars also. The layout iis not turning out to be what I expected. I have borrowed ideas from different individuals on this site and want to thank everyone for their help.

Now, Is there some other place where I should post several pictures or can it be done here?

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
Here are the pictures (Hope not to many):mrgreen:
DSC_2922.jpg

DSC_2921.jpg

DSC_2919.jpg

DSC_2918.jpg

DSC_2915.jpg

DSC_2910.jpg

DSC_2908.jpg

DSC_2906.jpg

DSC_2905.jpg
DSC_2903.jpg

DSC_2902.jpg

DSC_2836.jpg

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
As you can tell by referencing the previous photos a lot has been accomplished. It has been a long haul....... but.....announce1Not without the help of the fine folks on this forum. :thumb:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Nice going Floyd...!! You've sure put up a lot of stuff since you first started...! :thumb:

Question...What did you make that rock face with in the fifth picture (the one with the hiker..)..??

EvoMan454

Feb 11, 2008
I would like to say, That is the best use of lifelike power loc track I have ever seen! Nice layout

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
Gus the technique that I tried to follow is posted by hminky dated 3-16-2005 under the Search Forums, title "Making Ceiling Tiel Rocks".

I got some brocken ceiling tiles from the lumber yard that were around 1/2 inch thick. I brock them into randum pieces then hot glued them together one on top of the other until I got the height I wanted. I then lightly ran a wire brush along the edges of some, but not all. I then mixed some paint colors from Wal-Mart until I got the colors I thought would look good to me. Really a simple process once you get the hang of it.

Here is another view of the stacked tiles.
DSC_2887.jpg

On this view I busted the tiles into very small pieces and scratched the surfaces with my finger nails to rough them up a little.
DSC_2853.jpg

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
Here are a few more photos of other details.

Control Panel under table bandaged up right now

DSC_2856.jpg

Control Panel Closed

DSC_2858.jpg

Bldgs and livestock
DSC_2855.jpg

Road made from sheet rubber and sand
DSC_2854.jpg

My attempt at Water Falls and River
DSC_2853-1.jpg

Bldgs, Road, River and Construction Workers
DSC_2852.jpg

Bought this structure at sale (Is this a bldg that handles coal or feed???) Grandson liked it and paid for it himself. If you know what it is please tell so I can advise him.
DSC_2848.jpg

Another View of River, Camp grounds and other.
DSC_2843.jpg

Floyd

Sep 20, 2007
Southeastern Colorado
Gus...I forgot to mention that the rocks on the second picture were made by using the tile pieces sideways instead of on stacked on one another to show the edges. In other words I scratched the face surface of the tile to try and do away with the "Flat" look. Hope this makes sense!

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Wow Floyd I just read from beginning to end. Thats a real interesting backdrop you made up. I like the use of so many bridges, then again I'm a bridge nut.:mrgreen: