HO Track id

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by huttojb, Dec 18, 2006.

  1. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    Hi Gents.

    A quick questions what the difference between

  2. caellis

    caellis Member

    Overall height of the rail.
  3. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    Height is measured in 1000th's of an inch. Code 83 is therefore 0.083" high, and Code 100 is 0.100".

    However, the overall height of the track can vary due to differing thickness of ties. For example, my Walthers/Shinohara turnouts and Atlas flextrack are both Code 83, but the ties on the turnouts are thinner, so need to be shimmed so the tops of the rails are even.

    Atlas has addressedm a similar problem - their Code 100 and Code 83 track are the same height overall, since they put slightly thicker ties under the Code 83 rail.

  4. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    My father-in-law is using "OO" I read that the HO is compatable, my father-in-law said the tracks are different????

    Is this true, what are the difference?

  5. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    "OO" (double-O, or dubblo) is a Bristish scale of 1:76 - above the railhead. However, it uses HO standard gauge track, which scales out to slightly narrow gauge if measured in 1:76.

    So the tracks are in fact the same. It is everything else that is slightly larger than HO scale.

    Confused yet? ;) :D

  6. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    whats the point in that!!!!!

  7. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    so if my father-in-law is using OO, what one do I need to get HO Code 100 or HO Code 83?

  8. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    Code 100 is the safest bet, because if the wheels on the OO locos have large flanges (look like pizza cutters ;)), they *might* bottom out on the spikes on the Code 83 track.

    Take a loco to the store with you if possible to check it out. Code 83 would look better in my opinion.

    As for scale, I have no idea what the point is. Why do trains come in 1:87 in North America, but 1:76 in the UK? And why do airplane models come in 1:72? The most bizzare thing is that OO scale (1:76) is defined as 3.5mm (or is it 4mm) to the foot... mixing two entirely different measurement systems.

    And while we are on that, why are US gallons different than UK gallons? I could go on...! ;)

  9. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

    You have seen the light! I've been screaming this for YEARS about various modeling practices.

    This being one of the issues I have. I can understand they want it to be easily transitional, but honestly, they've done the exact opposite of "true to scale". The ties on smaller weight rail should be SMALLER! Not bigger. They should manufacture proper height and produce a set of transitional pieces.
  10. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    I could be on thin ice here, but obviously the english version is the correct one, just like we drive on the correct side of the road!!!!

    Thanks lad's I'll let my father-in-law know.

  11. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    I take it you're on the "east side of the pond"? ;) :D

    Correct side maybe - but is it the right side?

  12. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    you presume right, I think it's called "the better side"
  13. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    The thin ice you were talking about just cracked....! ;) :) :D sign1

  14. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

    How is incorrect scale track better than correct scale track?

    OO is predominant in the UK, but runs on HO track. HO everything is predominant in the US, making buildings / people / trains / and TRACK the same scale.
  15. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    We could discuss this all day, but I think it will be better if we call this a day.

    Another question, could someone post a picture of a Point and Y track and tell me what bit's are electronically connected. And according to my father-in-law they are different (looks the same to me) could someone explain.


  16. LoudMusic

    LoudMusic Member

    Uh huh.

    Ok, by "point" and "y track" are you refering to a turnout?

  17. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    OK. I've tried to attach a pic but it goes over the file size?

    at the bottom of this pic there is an upside down V; is this electronically connected to any input from the top of the PIC.

    Is a turnout and Y the same??

  18. b28_82

    b28_82 Member

    They live on the right side of the pond yet they drive on the left side of the road. hmmmmmmmm:confused: ;)
  19. huttojb

    huttojb New Member

    back onto the correct side of driving??

    Can someone answer my question and I'l be happy to discuss the advantages and disadvantages over the UK and that other place over on the west somewhere???sign1
  20. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    A "Y" track is a type of turnout. The prototype just call them switches, but we modelers refer to them as turnouts to keep from confusing them with electrical switches for turning power on & off. The turnout in the pic is a right hand turnout because the curved track goes off to the right. A "Y" turnout would not have a straight and a curve, rather it would be 2 curves going off in opposite directions to make a "Y" shape when viewed from the top.

Share This Page