Hi Gents.

A quick questions what the difference between

HO CODE 83 TRACK and HO CODE 100 TRACK?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Height is measured in 1000th's of an inch. Code 83 is therefore 0.083" high, and Code 100 is 0.100".

However, the overall height of the track can vary due to differing thickness of ties. For example, my Walthers/Shinohara turnouts and Atlas flextrack are both Code 83, but the ties on the turnouts are thinner, so need to be shimmed so the tops of the rails are even.

Atlas has addressedm a similar problem - their Code 100 and Code 83 track are the same height overall, since they put slightly thicker ties under the Code 83 rail.

Andrew

huttojb

Nov 27, 2006
My father-in-law is using "OO" I read that the HO is compatable, my father-in-law said the tracks are different????

Is this true, what are the difference?

Jason

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
"OO" (double-O, or dubblo) is a Bristish scale of 1:76 - above the railhead. However, it uses HO standard gauge track, which scales out to slightly narrow gauge if measured in 1:76.

So the tracks are in fact the same. It is everything else that is slightly larger than HO scale.

Confused yet? ;) :D

Andrew

huttojb

Nov 27, 2006
so if my father-in-law is using OO, what one do I need to get HO Code 100 or HO Code 83?

Jason

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Code 100 is the safest bet, because if the wheels on the OO locos have large flanges (look like pizza cutters ;)), they *might* bottom out on the spikes on the Code 83 track.

Take a loco to the store with you if possible to check it out. Code 83 would look better in my opinion.

As for scale, I have no idea what the point is. Why do trains come in 1:87 in North America, but 1:76 in the UK? And why do airplane models come in 1:72? The most bizzare thing is that OO scale (1:76) is defined as 3.5mm (or is it 4mm) to the foot... mixing two entirely different measurement systems.

And while we are on that, why are US gallons different than UK gallons? I could go on...! ;)

Andrew

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
huttojb said:
whats the point in that!!!!!

thanks.

You have seen the light! I've been screaming this for YEARS about various modeling practices.

masonjar said:
Atlas has addressedm a similar problem - their Code 100 and Code 83 track are the same height overall, since they put slightly thicker ties under the Code 83 rail.

This being one of the issues I have. I can understand they want it to be easily transitional, but honestly, they've done the exact opposite of "true to scale". The ties on smaller weight rail should be SMALLER! Not bigger. They should manufacture proper height and produce a set of transitional pieces.

huttojb

Nov 27, 2006
I could be on thin ice here, but obviously the english version is the correct one, just like we drive on the correct side of the road!!!!

Thanks lad's I'll let my father-in-law know.

Jason

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
huttojb said:
I could be on thin ice here, but obviously the english version is the correct one, just like we drive on the correct side of the road!!!!

Thanks lad's I'll let my father-in-law know.

Jason

How is incorrect scale track better than correct scale track?

OO is predominant in the UK, but runs on HO track. HO everything is predominant in the US, making buildings / people / trains / and TRACK the same scale.

huttojb

Nov 27, 2006
We could discuss this all day, but I think it will be better if we call this a day.

Another question, could someone post a picture of a Point and Y track and tell me what bit's are electronically connected. And according to my father-in-law they are different (looks the same to me) could someone explain.

Thanks

Jason.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
huttojb said:
We could discuss this all day, but I think it will be better if we call this a day.

Another question, could someone post a picture of a Point and Y track and tell me what bit's are electronically connected. And according to my father-in-law they are different (looks the same to me) could someone explain.

Thanks

Jason.

Uh huh.

Ok, by "point" and "y track" are you refering to a turnout?

C970714.jpg

huttojb

Nov 27, 2006
OK. I've tried to attach a pic but it goes over the file size?

at the bottom of this pic there is an upside down V; is this electronically connected to any input from the top of the PIC.

Is a turnout and Y the same??

Jason

huttojb

Nov 27, 2006
back onto the correct side of driving??

Can someone answer my question and I'l be happy to discuss the advantages and disadvantages over the UK and that other place over on the west somewhere???sign1

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
huttojb said:
OK. I've tried to attach a pic but it goes over the file size?

at the bottom of this pic there is an upside down V; is this electronically connected to any input from the top of the PIC.

Is a turnout and Y the same??

Jason

A "Y" track is a type of turnout. The prototype just call them switches, but we modelers refer to them as turnouts to keep from confusing them with electrical switches for turning power on & off. The turnout in the pic is a right hand turnout because the curved track goes off to the right. A "Y" turnout would not have a straight and a curve, rather it would be 2 curves going off in opposite directions to make a "Y" shape when viewed from the top.