ho to n layout

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
I usually work on 5/8 the HO size _ I know that N is effectively half of HO, but turnouts don't scale out at half size. So it comes out at approx 3'5"x6'8"
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
shortliner said:
I usually work on 5/8 the HO size _ I know that N is effectively half of HO, but turnouts don't scale out at half size. So it comes out at approx 3'5"x6'8"

You got it backwards Jack. He is going from ho to n so his effective size would be larger. If the size was doubled it would scale out to 11' x 21'6". Since it isn't quite double, I'm estimating off the top of my head that a layout drawn for ho to fit 9' x 18' would probably fit nicely. An ho design in the 10' x 20' range might be condensed to fit if it wasn't too close to a "spaghetti bowl". I think the first question to ask is what sort of equipment /era do you want to model, and consequently what is you minimum radius for mainlines and branches/yards? Once you estblish a minimum radius, you get a better idea how much railroad you can model. Is this an island style benchwork or around the walls. If it is an island style, is it in a room. A 5'6" x 10'9" layout would pretty much fill an 11' x 14' room. You could get a lot more railroad in the room by going around the walls on a shelf in the same area.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Ah, sorry - I thought he wanted to know what size that layout would fit into if it was done in N - apologies

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Jack, on rereading his post, I'm not sure which one of us is correct. He may be wanting to change his ho layout to n scale and cut the size of his bench work down. We have given him both answers. so I guess we wait for him to jump back in and advise us what he wants to do.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Okay - that is the size it will come out at - without seeing the trackplan I can't tell if it can be shrunk by another couple of inches each way - but try to keep the track a couple of inches at least from any edges, stops derailed cars/locos doing "Gravity switching" and you swearing, if you have a derailment

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Now that we see the plan, there are some interesting considerations.
You won't be able to get inside the layout in N gauge; the aisles will be too narrow.
As an approx. 4x7 layout, you'll be viewing from the outside, and all the scenery will need re-jigging.
How much space can you swing? Keep the inside aisle as it is, but narrow the shelf width. Then you lengthen the runs and the sidings a bit.
(None of these comments apply if you're an anorexic supermodel.)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
60103 said:
Now that we see the plan, there are some interesting considerations.
You won't be able to get inside the layout in N gauge; the aisles will be too narrow.
As an approx. 4x7 layout, you'll be viewing from the outside, and all the scenery will need re-jigging.
How much space can you swing? Keep the inside aisle as it is, but narrow the shelf width. Then you lengthen the runs and the sidings a bit.
(None of these comments apply if you're an anorexic supermodel.)

If you have extra space that you could move the layout into for emergency rerailing, you could build it on a single table 3'5" x 6' 8", and put it on rollers that would allow you to roll it out for access to the back if needed.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
I'd be inclined to go the solid-top route with a divider down the middle, with a building disguising each end. With a max reach of 24", assuming you go for Russ's 4x7 suggestion, there is no problem. with working on it. You may also be able to add a couple more industrial sidings running into narrow alleys against tne backscene, increasing switching possibilities. It might even be possible to have the top end at a higher level and take a hidden track off the right-hand side, and feed around underneath to the left hand side, to give you continuous running when you wanted it

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
railroader9731 said:
i have a ho layout and i wanted to change it to n scale its 5'6"x10'9" so i was wondering what it would be in n thanks.

Let's see where is my Scale Calculator?

5'6" = 66" which equals 479' HO, say 480' for ease. 480' in N takes up 36" in the real world.

10'9" = 129" which equals 936' HO, 936' in N takes up 70" in the real world.

So the new table would be 36" x 70"