HO subway

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by xyzon, Feb 23, 2006.

1. xyzon

xyzon New Member

I am thinking about building a subway rather then building mountains and stuff like that. Has anyone done this before? If so can you give me any idea?
  2. tverskaya

tverskaya Member

They seem to be few and far between.

Incidentally, I just recently started building a subway layout in N scale (search for subway on the N forum to find the thread).

The nice thing about it is that you'll need to bother much less with the feeling that distances are so small, especially if it's either underground or elevated between dense buildings.
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

There was a real interesting article on subways in the April MRR a couple of years ago, or
    maybe last year!
    Sure saves on trackwork:D :D
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

There was an article in Railway Modeller for Feb. 2006 about modelling the tram subway (streetcar) in London. This was just a short (3 or 4 stations) line to get the trams yhrough a congested section of town, but they built it to take double deckers.
  5. Can't remember where this came from. I think the station was done with Excel
  6. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Subway idea

Great idea. My idea is to use 4 inches of styrofoam board up to about 6 inches from the from edge of the layout. I was then going to place 2 tracks in front of the styrofoam. 4 inches above tracks making a" Plexiglass street" . Having the trains disappear for about a foot into an underground station. This too will have a plexiglass " street Level". This whole idea must be well thought out and be accessible in case of a mishap with the throttle. Just my 2 cents.