HO std gauge useful in HOn3

N

nachoman

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread to discuss potential HO standard gauge equiptment that can be converted to HOn3. So far, I have converted the MDC overton passenger car, a MDC 50' passenger car, a bachmann bobber caboose, and an IHC flat car. The overton passenger car was easy and I plan to do another. The 50' passenger car had to be so completley reconstructed, I might have just as well scratchbuilt. The bachmann bobbber caboose was real easy - I just took the bobber underframe off and mounted two trucks. It's a litte wide (about 9') but it was cheap and easy. The IHC flat car was not worth the effort, and it is hard to hide the seam where I narrowed the deck. I'm considering turning it into a tank car, or adding a "permanent" flat car load of some kind to give it more character.

I've also considered the mantua old time passenger cars, or maybe a diesel critter out of a athearn hustler or an old spectrum 70 tonner...

kevin

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Motive power aside, the rolling stock should be relatively easy. The Newfoundland part of CN (before it was torn up) was all narrow gauge. There was a facility at the port to lift the bodies of the rolling stock off the standard gauge trucks and put it on narrow gauge ones for the trip around the island.

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The IHC flat car was not worth the effort, and it is hard to hide the seam where I narrowed the deck.

I narrowed some Athearn 40' flats to do D&RGW 65000 series, and had the same seam. I finally layed in thin wood strips and weathered them. One of them has a Lasercut wood deck "narrowed", but that was too expensive, and too much hassel, to do the rest that way.
Pete