HO stamp mill

cascademan

Nov 11, 2005
Hi,
im going to start a summer project on a scratch built 10-stamp mill. I want it to be very unique and look different than other stamp mill models. Any one know of where i can find pictures of unique stamp mills so i can get the train in my head rolling. Any body have any advice or tips for me? thanxs for the help.

:D Cascademan:D :wave:

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
most of the old stamp mills i have seen were all of the same design will look through my old photos to see if i can find any thing diferent.were you looking for one in a building or a stand alone one?

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I really haven't seen much variation in stamp mills. the cross-sections seemed to be the same (depending on how far the mill took the process) just the width or length got longer with each battery of 10 stamps.

Instead of trying to find a unique mill, how about a unique mining complex. Doesn't have to be real big, just complex:rolleyes::D . Mine headframe right behind the mill with all of the neccessary mining buildings and excessories in one compact, but believable arraingment.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Zeddob its more than a believable this is a large 120 stamp mill in the colorado the pic is not the best but you can see (just barely )behind the mill the head frame of the mine. the other pic is of a smaller mill in colorado horse and wagon delivered the ore to the top and as seen rail cars carried the crushed ore away.

Attachments

• stamp mill.jpg
    stamp mill.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 254
  • stamp mill 2.jpg
    stamp mill 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 247

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Victor and Cripple Creek Co and the area between the two towns was covered with headframes and tailings piles. A few of the larger mining companies had their own mills right below the headframe(s). The Independence in Victor comes to mind and the Gold Coin, which had a brick building around it's headframe, had a haulage track that ran through Squaw Mountain to the Economic Mill on the other side.

Of course, the latter is deviating from my original suggestion, but the headframe building is rather unique in that it was built out of brick rather than wood. This was due to the fact that the mine shaft was in downtown Victor, which burned to the ground like most towns did back then and most of the businesses rebuilt using brick, including the Gold Coin. It was a fine looking building complete with stained glass windows, which made one miner quit because "it looked to much like working in a church".

As a resource for mining ideas, the Cripple creek district should not be overlooked.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Not to discourage you, but if you want to see a really "unique" stamp mill, check out the November 2005 issue of RMC. While the model is in S scale and is of a 20 stamp mill, it is, in my opinion, an amazing piece of modelling work. It features an animated "steam" engine, working stamps, and moving Wilfley tables, all with sound systems.

Wayne

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I saw a small portable stamp mill at a steam-up in Belgrade, MT a few years ago. It was being powered by a kerosine tractor via a flat belt.

cascademan

Nov 11, 2005
:D Thanks for the help everyone. Im going to change my question what zedob said. Anyone know of any unique mining complex photos out there? I started my stamp mill 2 days ago and i got the framing done:) . Im starting to think that i built the front to small though:curse: . I made it a 1 1/2 inches tall is that ok.

cascademan:wave: