HO scale vehicle license plate decals

I scaled the images in Photoshop. There wasn't any distortion, but when printed with the inkjet onto the decal paper, you can see a little pixelation from the printer, if you look really close. I'll probably use homemade plates for the majority of cars that get plates, and the Microscale offering for the few expensive foreground vehicles that deserve 'em.

I ended up scaling a bunch of various plate images down to scale using Corel DRAW and printing them onto stickers. The stickers give a nice thickness that is nearly appropriate.

It's funny how this little detail adds to the realism.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
This is an excelent idea! Now my South African cars won't have European and American numberplates!

Btw, on a layout I thi nk that it's the small details that count the most.

shadow

Shadow

Sante Fe Jack Testors Sells A Kit For Making Decals As Well As Liscense Plates They Are Really Small But When Taking Photos Up Close Would Be Ok.

I Bought Mine At Wal-mart. I Wanna Say It Cost Me About $8.00 But That May Have Been A Close Out Price.

I Have Yet To Use It We Did Print One Out Once On Plain Paper To See Wasn't Bad.

You Would Need A Laser Printer.

Here Is A # To Call For Info 1 800 962-6654 Item # 9198

Maybe Also Be Available At Hobby Stores

By The Way I Dont Get On Much But I Am Combats Dad

tomustang

Has Entered.
Sante Fe Jack Testors Sells A Kit For Making Decals As Well As Liscense Plates They Are Really Small But When Taking Photos Up Close Would Be Ok.

I Bought Mine At Wal-mart. I Wanna Say It Cost Me About $8.00 But That May Have Been A Close Out Price.

I Have Yet To Use It We Did Print One Out Once On Plain Paper To See Wasn't Bad.

You Would Need A Laser Printer.

Here Is A # To Call For Info 1 800 962-6654 Item # 9198

Maybe Also Be Available At Hobby Stores

By The Way I Dont Get On Much But I Am Combats Dad
The one at wal-mart is the Basic, you need the Delux kit to customize plates or pictures

I also bought the Basic kit, and noticed you can't add pictures to it

doctorwayne

Being a computer klutz, I took the old-fashioned route. I cut out appropriately-size .010" styrene rectangles, put them on the sticky side of a piece of masking tape, then airbrushed them with a suitable colour. When the paint had fully dried, I use a small brush and some contrasting paint to make some random marks - some sorta look like numbers or letters, but on the layout, they're enough to give the impression of being more detailed than they really are. ;)
100_5642.JPG

Latest_proto_foe-toes_045.jpg

100_5502.JPG

Latest_proto_foe-toes_022.jpg

Wayne

shadow

Shadow now knows lol

The one at wal-mart is the Basic, you need the Delux kit to customize plates or pictures

I also bought the Basic kit, and noticed you can't add pictures to it

Thanks for the info, wasn't aware there was more involved with extra stuff to buy from Testers. Happy Holidays to you and yours, From Phoenix Arizona.

I have also bought a back ground program disk to make some really nice back ground scenes and looking forward to doing that soon. Just about got the tracks down in HO. Don't know if Combat has shared any photos as of yet? We have a 21' X 12' room with a sea ship from scratch, sea loading dock, freight shipping, mountains, tunnels, bridges galore, train yard, huge hydro dam, and a helix. DCC controlled. I don't know if my photos are to big to send or not? I have taken a bunch of photos as I have progressed along we are modeling the north/west. take care