HO scale towboat

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Here's pictures of the Revell "Harbour Tug Boat" kit rebuilt as a 1:87 towboat. The kit box cover is the background. I changed the size of the doors, raised the main deck superstructure about a scale foot. scratched a new pilothouse, stack, and skylight. added railings,and increased the area of the upper deck. The red parts are the original kit. The model is ready to prime coat.

Attachments

• towboat1.jpg
    towboat1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 355

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Nice!!!! I've always liked that kit but never see it on shelves anymore. Your modifications are well done!! Will you post pics of how you use the tow boat on your layout?
Ralph

That looks real nice Sumpter, excellent scratch work.

I used to sleep aboard an old ocean going tug that was used to push a party barge on the Mississippi where I used to work.

The guy who owned the company also had technicaly the oldest steamboat on the lower Miss. Named the Ruth, It was originaly a boat from the USS Kearsarge (so I was told). It was powered by a stanley steamer engine and looked pretty much like an average launch. Boy would that thing belch black smoke.

I'll always look back to my time on the river with fond memories. Thanks for bringing them back again. :)

t.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Gary,
The kit is 1:108 scale, and some of the details are too small for HO. Could be used in the background very nicely though.

Ralph,
I picked this up my last trip east,in New Jersey. I understand it is/was a re-release. I'm going to use this one to move a 200 ton crane(Athearn) on a barge.

Billk,
"was it habit ? "..... I modified it because they forgot to take away my razor saw!!:D :D Actually, The 1:108 scale was just a little too removed from 1:87, and, I wanted the original pilothouse, and stack, for another coastal freighter.

t.alexander,
Wish you had a picture of "Ruth". Stanley steamer engine !! I wonder if she had the Stanley boiler too! I do miss my salt water.
Pete

C

Catt

Petehow about tossing that little beauty into some boiling water .Maybe it will shrink down to 1-160. :D :D :D

Nice work my man.

Pete, I thought I was going to be able to show you a pic of the "Ruth". but It looks like their still working on the website www.memphisqueen.com . The pic box was there for it but no photo. :(

According to the info on this little jewel it's no longer with us anymore. Sad but It really does'nt suprise me though as I helped raise it from the harbor bottom twice myself. It had to have two pumps that ran 24hrs a day to keep it from sinking.

The Tug I mentioned in my last post was named the Tom Meanely. It's a spittin' image of yours.

t.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Good modelling and kit bashin Pete. I must try to build one in N gauge. Do you have dimensions handy such as length and beam??

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Matthyro,
As built in HO, length 63', beam 19', height, waterline to top of stack, 22'-9", cabins have 7' overheads.

Tyson,
I still haven't decided what the color scheme will be. I'm thinking maybe black hull, gray decks, green bulkheads, and white trim. That may change at a moment's notice.
Pete

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Has it been that long?!! Had to dig a bit to find this thread, for the update.
Most of the work is done, and the paint is on. It needs window glazing, decals, fenders (truck tires along the sides), and weathering.
#1 of 2:

Attachments

• towboat1.jpg
    towboat1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 210

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Nice work. Which I had a spot for one on my layout.
Noticed the box said the name of the tug was "Lucky IX(9)". Couldn't of been all that lucky...What happened to the first eight?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Thank for the comments.
88, Rumor has it that the first eight went off to play "tug"-o-war, and were torpedoed!:eek: :D :D :D