HO scale large dragline bucket load....scratch build

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
HO scale large dragline bucket load....scratch build....Photos uploaded

Hello all,

I started one of my latest scratch builds yesterday. A completely scratch build of a Marion shovel company dragline bucket load for my Walthers heavy duty flat car. The bucket itself is built out of styrene and old parts.

The only thing left to finish is the hoist/drag rigging chains and paint. I haven't decided on what color to paint this bucket. Marion shovel company paint their buckets cream,black and burgandy. I'll paint mine primer for now and paint the rest later.

The bucket is friggin huge compared to the walthers HDF. I have HO scale chains..... I'll have to scratch build the rigging & load blocks to secure the load. Should be a high and wide load coming out of DRSC shops soon.

I'll post photos ,when I get the load all done.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

desertdrover

Sep 20, 2006
Rhode Island
Slagpot;

I for one will be interested in seeing photos of your scratchbuilt. And a question for anyone... The Erie B-2 Steam Shovel Kit form Jordan, would you know or have seen how good of a kit this is.

desertdrover

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
desertdrover said:
Slagpot;

I for one will be interested in seeing photos of your scratchbuilt. And a question for anyone... The Erie B-2 Steam Shovel Kit form Jordan, would you know or have seen how good of a kit this is.

desertdrover

Hi yaz Desertdrover,

It's not a complete dragline.....just the bucket. I don't have the B-2 in my collection,but I've seen models of the B-2 shovel. I'll say this.....for every dollar spend on this Jordan shovel, its worth every dollar. It's a very nicely done model and you can super detail it to make it even nicer.

Patrick

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Patrick, there was an excellent two-part article, in the April and May 2006 issues of Railroad Model Craftsman, about the Bucyrus-Erie Company in South Milwaukee. Lots of very interesting prototype photos in both installments, and some very well-done modelling of flatcar and gondola loads typical of what one might have seen coming out of the plant.
The Erie B-2 shovel that you spoke of: is this a new model from Jordan? Any idea of when the prototype would have been in use? I'm hoping to incorporate a quarry into the second level of my layout, and this sounds like it could be useful.

Wayne

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Sounds interesting. Did you have to build curves into the bucket, or is it a relatively square one?

As an aside, just a suggestion for future reference; when you're going to post a thread on a project, it's best to have photos available before you post it, so that you can upload them straight away. That way you don't lose anyone's interest.

slagpot

Jul 11, 2006
Beaufort,SC
slagpot said:
Hello all,

I started one of my latest scratch builds yesterday. A completely scratch build of a Marion shovel company dragline bucket load for my Walthers heavy duty flat car. The bucket itself is built out of styrene and old parts.

The only thing left to finish is the hoist/drag rigging chains and paint. I haven't decided on what color to paint this bucket. Marion shovel company paint their buckets cream,black and burgandy. I'll paint mine primer for now and paint the rest later.

The bucket is friggin huge compared to the walthers HDF. I have HO scale chains..... I'll have to scratch build the rigging & load blocks to secure the load. Should be a high and wide load coming out of DRSC shops soon.

I'll post photos ,when I get the load all done.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

Hello all,

I'm terribly sorry , I thought I uploaded these photos long ago. I use this forum and others to post pictures and ask questions. Once again sorry for the long wait.

The first group of photos is of the half finnished bucket loaded on the Walthers heavy duty flat.

The other three are of the conmpleted dragline buckets chains and all.

HOdraglinebucketload002.jpg

HOdraglinebucketload001.jpg

HOdraglinebucketload004.jpg

This is a picture of a HO Norscot D5 caterpillar dozer in the bucket.

Draglinebucketload003.jpg

Draglinebucketload002.jpg

Draglinebucketload001.jpg

Thats it folks....or at least for this project. Right now I'm working on a HO scale Equilibrium crane or E-crane for the wharf. Built completely from scratch,should be a couple of weeks till this is done.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC