HO railroad?

sfrr

OK...In the near future I will have 7' 6" by 7' to work with for an HO layout...yet...I have no plans...but I have a little bit of track, and 100 bucks plus a 20% off coupon to my hobby store, and I have the choice of an Engine( or 2) some freight cars, or track, and I don't know what to go with...If anyone could help me that would be great, I can't spend more than 98 bucks for tax reasons, so I was thinking about a SD40-2 and maybe a freight car or 2:rolleyes:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Ahhhh opportunity! :) Maybe you can base your decision on what you know about yourself. Are you the kind of person who can wait for a while before any trains are moving or would you prefer to get at least a small switching scene on that layout space you have in mind? Obviously a layout isn't a layout without trains so you will need to buy a loco if you don't have one already! :) Do you have a favorite road name? I'm assuming Satna Fe based on your handle....What to do? What to do?! :)

Good luck!
Ralph

sfrr

ok...First off I really like Locomotives =) and I'm into BNSF(BN & SF also)/Chicago & North Western/Mopac/also Chicago Metra...And I think I will need a yard locomotive, since I have a BN Executive SD70MAC, So I need something to take the empties to the loading, hence maybe an SW1500 or a GP-38, I have some trutrack, but only enough to make an oval, and I know for sure I'm going with trutrack all the way. And finally, the rolling stock, I have a good amount, Maybe need a CSX boxcar and a Mopac boxcar, but I was thinking about a Mopac SW1500 (if they have anything) or a Wisconsin Central SW1500.

sfrr

I have about 12 hours to make my decision :cool:

Because the store opens at 12AM and its 11:58PM got to get some sleep here soon:rolleyes:

DeckRoid

Get the track. You have an engine and some rolling stock. You can always later find your dream locomotive.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
You mean that you have to wait for two years before you can build that 7' 6" X 7" layout you mentioned above?

sfrr

OK this is what I got :thumb:

Athearn RTR Burlington Northern SD40 $60
100_3567.jpg

Athearn Genesis 60' Auto Car Pre Weathered $25
100_3568.jpg

%20 off = 71 dollars :rolleyes:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
cool. Looks like you are going to have to save up though for the money for track. It will be good when you get more track sections to play with though, so that you know your locomotive's tolerances, and you can make pieces of what you want. In the future though, a GP38/40-2 might be a better option, as they can generally squeeze in tighter spaces. You have to not be like me, lol, with all the 6 axel electrics and diesels... you'll soon find you have nothing to switch freight with!

It stinks that you have to wait so long, but this does give you time though to practice detailing your locomotives, since even athearn RTR only has the most basic details.

Are you the same SFRR from TrainHaus? Not doing Conrail/LMS anymore?

sfrr

Well, My birthdays tomorrow, and I'm expecting more money since I'm going into high school :thumb:

L

lester perry

Help me out here a little bit. I looked at your public profile and it says you are 42 years old?
Les

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
yeah, I remember SFRR from Trainhaus. He is a younger member, I think in his early teens. not a problem though. I still have to ask, what happened to the LMS models?

I'm "CAB_IV" from Trainhaus.

sfrr

hi! I left those a while ago, I have since moved to HO scale, kept the Nscale stuff and layout, and I'm revamping it little by little.

CRed

I just got back into the hobby in Oct. '06 and just now have some track.I just couldn't help not passing up a great deal on an engine on E-Bay.I also was neglecting the rolling stock part,but have since added some very nice pieces from Intermountain,Walthers,Proto2000 Ect,ect.

I did have track before X-Mas for a while,but it was Bachman E-Z Track.Boy does that stuff stink!I decided to replace it with Kato Uni-Track and I have to tell you I highly recommend it.It's a bit more expensive then the others,but worth it IMHO.It goes together very easily,pulls apart easily and the rails match up nicely,plus the rails don't end up being pushed out of the bed like with the E-Z Track.Oh,and it looks much better too.Just a thought if you have trouble with the Tru-Track stuff,I have never tried it so I can't comment on it.

Good luck with your model railroading.

Chris