HO Railroad pics

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by N Gauger, Sep 4, 2001.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

2. scudrunr

scudrunr New Member

3. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

WOW.... That is one HUGE layout. Does it have a website of it's own?
  4. justind

justind Member

I am a little confused...I haven't heard of Northlandz...is this a layout that you designed/built/owned or visited..? It is massive! I gather from the pictures that it is on display somewhere, I would sure love to see that. (the maintenance on something like that would be a killer, but it sure is nice).
  5. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

It's on Rt. 202 in NJ. Haven't been there(don't intend to), but I saw his previous railroad at his home(that railroad was also very large). Frankly, he does build nice structures and bridges. Other than that and the sheer size, there is nothing to impress. The main theme I guess is fantasy, not my thing. All the trains run on independant loops, except for some which run on stretches of track not connected to anything, they just auto reverse at the end of the track. Maintenance shouldn't be to bad, on the old layout at any rate there were no working turnouts. I remember a GG1 running by itself down a length of track along a mountainside. The track was maybe 20' long, isolated from the rest of the railroad(no caternary either). The unit just ran back and forth. Also a very nicely done trestle, with something like a 12" radius, which was a helix, about 8 or 9 turns, then across a gap about 2' long, then another helix just like the first. A Hustler would run up one helix, cross to the other and descend, then change direction and repeat. Endlessly. It was also not connected to the rest of the layout. You just had to go "huh?" Then there was the train which ran on an oval so you could see both sides of the cars, because they were painted differently on each side(to make you think it was a different train) Except it was never out of your sight. There were other silly things, but you get the idea. I suppose others might think it is wrong for me to critique in this manner, but I think that potential visitors should be aware of what is in store for them. Don't expect a model railroad, but rather a train oriented extravagansa.

6. justind

justind Member

I don't think you are overly harsh, it is like you say then...not a model railroad but a display. Cool enough. I like some prototypical modeling, but not too much. I don't like modeling the same lines that already exist (unless there is something that is just too great to pass up about it...like that yard in the Calif Mts for example). I like seeing what can be done with imagination and dedication (someone had to think up the prototypes at one time). And it is open-ended...no one saying what is wrong and right, because it is all right from your point of view. My opinion only. Anyway, it has some points of interest, but is a display at heart. Thanks for the info.
  7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I've never been there either, but I have seen it featured in print, & I've even seen it on TV.
    I'm with Gary, it's not really my cup of tea either. But if nothing else, you have to have some respect for the amount of labor that went into this thing. It's housed in its own building, & covers thousands of square feet. I remember he has a scratchbuilt, scale-size version of Scotland's Forth Bridge, which is very impressive.
    But, when all is said & done, I'm much more interested in what someone can do in the space of a spare bedroom, or a corner of a basement, or a bookshelf, or that old pig-pong table.
    That's where the magic is for me!
  8. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Hi, again guys, I was only posting the Pics, so you could see the effects & Maybe get some modeling ideas. :) Notice that there are a couple taken at or below track level. Just like Shamus has mentioned a couple of times. Gary, you are correct, it is NOT a single railroad, it goes neither "point to point" nor town to town. NorthlandZ, is but a HUGE HO display, it is but one man's dream. He (Bruce Williams) took his love for modeling & put it all in one huge DISPLAY. There are always about 110 trains running. They serve mythical towns, but most run in circles, but it is ALWAYS through huge scenic runs, there are but maybe 5 trains that never leave your view. All the rest run through tunnels, so they go from "your" view into another room, then return about 2 - 3 minutes later. There is a lot of mirrors, but you really have to look for them, and there are a bunch of 10 - 20 Ft long bridges, and too many buildings to count. The "reason to go" is mostly to see what "can be done" in most any amount of room. There are about 50 "views" of layout ideas, that could be used in ANY size area. 2 x 4 ft. to 20 x 30 ft. It is magnificient, even at the $13.75 admission fee. This was my 9th time visiting in 5 yrs. Every time we go, we see things he has added. He updates something every few months.
    The web address is:
    Seeee Yaaaaa -- N Gauger
  9. Peirce

Peirce Member

I found Northlandz a fun place to visit. It doesn't have to be "my style" to enjoy. Certainly it is a flight of fantasy, but aren't even our prototype layouts a bit of that anyway?

What I found most interesting were Bruce's presentation ideas and his sometimes off the wall humor (like his vertical village).