Ho Outdoors

JOE ALOIA

Nov 7, 2004
GENTLEMEN,
AT 17 I PURCHESED A MANTUA BUSY BEE,AT 50 I WENT TO "0" GAGE,
THEN IN MY 60'S I VENTURED INTO THE LARGE SCALE.NOW AT 73 ,I AM
BACK INTO HO. MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE LARGE SCALE ,MADE ME LOVE BEING OUTSIDE. SO! I DECIDED TO BUILD ME A HO LAYOUT OUTDOORS.
I STARTED WITH A 4X8,33" LEGS. AROUND THE PERIMETER I ADDED 12"
HIGH PLEXIGLASS WALLS. THEN I CUT A 4X8 SHEET OF PLEXY IN HALF.
ADDED HANDLES ,AND LAYED THAT ON TOP OF THE PLEXY WALLS. NOW I HAVE A LAYOUT COMPLETEY COVERED TO HANDLE THE WEATHER (I HOPE)
THEN A 10X10' CANOPY WAS ADDED ,SO THAT I CAN RUN THE TRAINS IN THE RAIN,WHICH I ALREADY HAVE DONE.NEXT CAME THE EXTENSION, ANOTHER 4X8, THIS TIME ONLY A TARP,COVERS IT AT NITE. I WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER POST ,THAT I WAS LOOKING FOR TROUBLE. THEY SAID NOT TO LEAVE MY EQUIPEMENT OUT,ETC. WELL, ITS BEEN SIX MONTHS SINCE I STARTED, AND THE LOCOS,POWER SUPPLY,AND ROLLING STOCK HAS WEATHERED WITH FLYING COLORS. TRUE, THE REAL TEST WILL BE IN THE NEXT SIX MONTHS.EVEN IF IT FAILS,I GIVE MYSELF CREDIT FOR TRYING.
I REGISTERED YESTURDAY,I POSTED TODAY,AND I THINK THIS IS A GREAT POST.
ENJOY YOUR HOBBY
JOE

jtbterri

Jun 16, 2004
San Diego, California
Great! I'm glad somebody is trying it.
You didn't mention what part of the country/world you've put this up in.
I live in So. Cal and the next effort on my part will be to try the same idea.
George

JOE ALOIA

Nov 7, 2004
Chris,and GEORGE,
I tried to e-mail the photo and script, but it could not find that address.
As far as my location, i am on long island, new york.We can get real
cold weather, and a good share of snow. In ca. you will have much less
problems ,then i will have. I am having a good time with it.
JOE
THE OUTSIDER

jtbterri

Jun 16, 2004
San Diego, California
, i am on long island, new york.We can get real
cold weather, and a good share of snow.

Wow. Now I'm really postitive on making the transition. My problems with weather are minimal compared to Long Island. I worked out of Ronkonkoma for a couple of years. My major concerns are dust/dirt and bugs. Those we have plenty of around here.
Did you completely enclose your layout? I was thinking of just an overhang for protection from the little moisture we get around here, <15" a year, and some wall or partition to screen out the sun and block the winds. If I completely have to enclose the layout that will bring up other problems.
George

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Joe, You can attach photos to a post by clicking on "post reply" , scroll down and click "manage attachments", then click "browse", find the picture on your computer and click open, then "upload", once the picture is done uploading, close that window and click "submit reply". sound harder than it is :eek:

JOE ALOIA

Nov 7, 2004
:wave: :wave:
jtbterri said:
Wow. Now I'm really postitive on making the transition. My problems with weather are minimal compared to Long Island. I worked out of Ronkonkoma for a couple of years. My major concerns are dust/dirt and bugs. Those we have plenty of around here.
Did you completely enclose your layout? I was thinking of just an overhang for protection from the little moisture we get around here, <15" a year, and some wall or partition to screen out the sun and block the winds. If I completely have to enclose the layout that will bring up other problems.
George
My original layout (4x8) was completely enclosed with plexiglass,with the top and front panel removable.My extension (4x8) is not, at nite only when the weather looks bad i cover it with a tarp.you would need a support for the tarp or it would knock over your equipement. Dont worry about the bugs ,for they will get in no matter what u do. GEORGE i do reccomend a canopy,with that you can add side curtains, that will block out some dirt and dust.You cant beat mother nature. I find now that i really dont need the plexi top cover,
because its laying on the side now for the past two months.Again i say with a
canopy,and side curtains you will not need the tarps.get one with a minimum of 10 feet wide. With the walls ,you would need walking space around the layout. If you have any questions on this i would be happy to help.
joe