HO Monorail?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by David Rosser, Oct 31, 2003.

1. David Rosser

David Rosser Member

To all: Does anyone know of of any kit/outfit/kit group/?/ that would provide a monorail set-up in HO? Like many older layouts (ours is around 30 years old in parts) we can not add any more normal trackage. But, a monorail would allow me to "keep on building"! Any a ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Welcome to the-gauge!!!

They're out there:

Google "HO monorail"

Myself, I would look towards an El train, tram, or inclined railway, but that would just be a preference choice. I only mention it in case you have not thought of those options. Not seeing your layout, perhaps the mono would fit in best.

You could also rip out a section and start over on it. That's probably what I'll have to do if I run out of space before I retire and move away.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The Disney people sell a model of their monorail. It looks a bit over HO scale. I saw one running in a store and it seemed a bit rough.
    You should be able to get it in any Disney store or park.
    It comes with a loop of track, but extra curves and straights are available. Also a large piece that is 2 3-way switches back to back (!) and a number of buildings.
  4. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

Yeah I was just down at Disneyworld with the kids. The monorail was about $60.00 and is battery operated. My 3 yr old son decided on the Buzz Lightyear space ship and fugure instead of the monorail :p
  5. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

E-R Models puts one out in HO scale. I've seen a set for about $160, but I'm sure you can find it cheaper.

Attached Files:

6. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

Nice lookin mono Arlaghan! :)
  7. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

I remember a series of articles in MR magazine where a fellow built an El train using Central Valley girders and supports. The end result was incredible. Also, Life-Like has released Proto 1000 subway cars which, I think (??) are pretty similar to the El-type trains.

Now, THAT would be a :cool: cool :cool: project!
  8. Alan Bickley

Alan Bickley Member

Just looking through the old threads and found this (bored, you know!).
    Anyway, I remember seeing on my travels an Italeri kit for a German "Transrapid" Monorail in HO. Although it was a static model, imagine if it could be motorised, using the same system of magnetic levitation that the prototype uses?!:eek:
  9. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hello David, Welcome to the gauge.
    Can you post a photo of your railroad or trackplan, perhaps we can advise you better after looking at it. Might be possible to add a small logging line which goes up into the hills, you never know.