HO Diesel Locomotive

robert6936

Jan 30, 2007
Hi everyone::wave:

This is a great site for a newbe like me, Need some help
icon5.gif
on deciding on a HO DC Diesel Locomotive something like a F7 A & B (both pwr) or SD70 and transformer I was thinking of Athearn Genesis , Atlas ,Kato and MRC Tech-3 transformer. My layout is Atlas Rancocas Harbor Belt with a 4 x 8 future expansion for mountains, industrial siding really would appreciate some past experience with these.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
What size curves are you using?If it's 18" radius I'd suggest something like this if you want a modern diesel...

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25583&page=7

Scroll down a bit.

I'm not sure,but I think an F7 will do 18" radii.The problem would be with the cars,most passenger cars won't do 18" radii or even 22" if that's what you're using it for.If you want it for freight it should be fine I think.

I have an MRC Tech4 Pwerpack and really like it.

Chris

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
If it's an Atlas trackplan it's probably going to have 18" radius curves. If that's the case stick with engines that have 4-wheel trucks and a short wheelbase. The F-7 is a good choice as well as any Geep or Small alco unit. The six wheel trucked engines like the SD70 you mentioned are too big for the tighter curves and don't look very good while turning in them. that and they take up more room on your switching moves.

robert6936

Jan 30, 2007
Thanks Guys ya looked at the track plan combination 18 and 22" curves so much for SD70 engine you saved me $120.00

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
robert6936 said:
Thanks Guys ya looked at the track plan combination 18 and 22" curves so much for SD70 engine you saved me $120.00

Your welcome!

If you want a more modern 4-Axel deisel there are some nice models out there,such as the one in the link I provided.Some brands you might want to consider are,Proto2000,Athearn Genisis,Atlas Master Series(Gold or silver),Precision Craft and Broadway Limited.

If you want to do a 50's or older era layout get the F7's,F3's in a freight scheme,I really like the look of those beauties.

Chris

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
if you like older locos you could have GP40's and other geeps,all mine run fine on 18R curves with 2 bay hoppers and freight cars of 40ft or less.anything bigger than those will look weird and run weird on 18 and 22R curves.--josh

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
I run an Athern Gold series with sound, two Athern Genesis SD45 2T's, a couple of Bachman GP40's on a 4X16. The SD45-2T's are long but the navigate the turns very well. Stay away from the Bachmans if you want quality. They sound like a cat continously scratching a chalkboard. The Atherns purrrrrrr...

You can pick up a Gold Series with sound at most Hobby Shops, (If they have their "stuff" together) for about $195.00 and the standard Genesis for as low as $75.00.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
J. Steffen said:
I run an Athern Gold series with sound, two Athern Genesis SD45 2T's, a couple of Bachman GP40's on a 4X16. The SD45-2T's are long but the navigate the turns very well. Stay away from the Bachmans if you want quality. They sound like a cat continously scratching a chalkboard. The Atherns purrrrrrr...

You can pick up a Gold Series with sound at most Hobby Shops, (If they have their "stuff" together) for about $195.00 and the standard Genesis for as low as $75.00.

Do you mean ATLAS Gold Series?I agree,stay away from the Bachmanns they're trouble.

I forgot to add Kato to the list of quality engines.

Chris

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
I'm sorry, that's the beer talking and I stand corrected. I meant to say the "premium" Athern trains. When it comes down to it. I think all of the major manufacturers high end engines are probably VERY fine products. I just wished I had the money to test that theory.

I have to salute Bachman. The produce an affordable engine and without them, I would have never have gotten into this hobby. CURSE YOU BACHMAN!!!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i have two new bachmann GP38's and they run great on DCC and DC.they are nicely detailed good running engines as long as i owned the high end ones.--josh

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
J. Steffen said:
I'm sorry, that's the beer talking and I stand corrected. I meant to say the "premium" Athern trains. When it comes down to it. I think all of the major manufacturers high end engines are probably VERY fine products. I just wished I had the money to test that theory.

I have to salute Bachman. The produce an affordable engine and without them, I would have never have gotten into this hobby. CURSE YOU BACHMAN!!!

Yeah any highend product will be good enough I think.

I now have an Atlas Gold UP 8-40C,Tower 55 NP ES44AC,BLI DM&IR RSD-15 and I have a Kato BN SD70 MAC on the way and I've also had a Precision Craft AT&SF F3 A/B set so I guess I come pretty close to being able to test that theory when I get my layout set up.

I don't have any experience with Bachmann Spectrum deisels,but the 2-10-2 I had turned out to be a lemon.I sold it on E-Bay and the guy I sold it to has had nothing but problems with it.He mentioned that the early versions were bad so maybe the newer ones are O.K.

Chris

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
CRed said:
I don't have any experience with Bachmann Spectrum deisels,

Chris

I don't either. I think they tried to sweeten up their image with a quality loco but I don't know if it's working. Don't get me wrong. I love all of my locos but the Atheans are the sweetest.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
all mine run fine on 18R curves with 2 bay hoppers and freight cars of 40ft or less.
I often see people recommending only 40' cars on 18". 50' cars and some 60' cars will run fine on that radius. Being restricted to 40' isn't logical when you consider that 4-axle road diesels (which we all know run fine on 18") are over 40' and usually over 50'.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I like a lot of the new locomotive's coming out. There just a bit over priced like the MP-15AC I bough a couple years ago when it first came out by Atlas. That hurt. They are nice. I put mine though a lot of work and it's still going strong. Plus Atlas locomotive's look fantastic with Sergent couplers. :)

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I often see people recommending only 40' cars on 18". 50' cars and some 60' cars will run fine on that radius. Being restricted to 40' isn't logical when you consider that 4-axle road diesels (which we all know run fine on 18") are over 40' and usually over 50'.

I agree, while most of my cars are 40' I have a couple 50' flat cars and a Longer proto 2000 mill gondola and they look just fine . I think it's tracking ability and how a car looks instead of a set length requirement that should be the rule.