HO Design Built with N Guage

sapacif

Jun 3, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
I have heard that a very good layout to build is a good design HO layout built with N scale track. It makes for more scenery and an uncrowded layout. Any opinions? Are you losing the advantage of N scale by doing this or are you maximizing an advantage of N scale?

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
You are maximizing one advantage - it makes the RR look ilke part of its surroundings - but you are losing the advantage of being able to put more track, and therefore operational possibilities, into a given area.

Guess it depends on what you're after. Personally, I think it's a good idea.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've suggested this a few times, but I don't know if anyone's taken me up on it. If you take a HO layout with 18" radius curves and 4% grades, you can get a N layout with 18" radius curves and 2% grades. And twice as many cars in the sidings.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Flash, that's exactly what I did.

I took a 4x8 ft H0 track plan (Nr. 24) out of Kalmbach's '101 Track Plans'. This was not more than a tight figure-8 line plus a small yard with room for perhaps 5 boxcars per yard track.

Then I built the 4x8 ft layout, but in N scale. Mind you, there were still quite tight curves, but compared to the original I had now lots of room for scenery, managed to sneak in a whole engine terminal (in the background) plus a few addidional sidings. All this made for great operational possibilities.

As you see on the picture, there is quite a bit of free space for scenery between the tracks. And don't forget - the footprint of the N scale buildings is also only 1/4 of the same H0 building - another gain of room for scenery!

Ron

Attachments

• tcs1.jpg
    tcs1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 210