HO copper water tower rings?

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by ExtremePCs, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. ExtremePCs

    ExtremePCs Member

    Anyone know how I would go about making copper water tower rings (HO scale)? Or are they available for purchase? I'm afraid if I cut them out of sheet copper that they will not turn out well, but I'm willing to try :) I want to scratch build a water tower out of wood and copper.

  2. Fluesheet

    Fluesheet Member

    I don't know for sure, but I'd think that there is copper foil available out there - throw in a paper cutter and that might just do the trick.
  3. cnw1961

    cnw1961 Member

    If the paper cutter does not work properly or you don not have one, use a sharp knife and a ruler to cut the copper foil (if it is thin enough). You should be able to cut very fine strips this way.
  4. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    Are you trying to represent something specific? I ask because I have not come across this before...

    Most bands are actually steel rod connected by turnbuckles (usually three or more around the circumference of the tank). They are round in cross section, not flat like the hoops on a barrel.

    On the tank I built, I used heavy thread to represent the rods.

    Good luck, and post a pic if you can!

  5. Hodgy

    Hodgy New Member

    copper bands

    you could try to find some copper welding wire off a welder, it comes in a spool. may do the trick
  6. doctorwayne

    doctorwayne Active Member

    You could use the soft brass wire offered by Detail Associates if you want to do it as rods. I think that Grandt Line makes the band tighteners (turnbuckles) in styrene.
    If you want to use the band idea, try cutting strips of good quality writing paper using a new blade in your X-acto. My Dad used this technique on a water tower that he built almost 50 years ago, from an article in Model Railroader. He brush painted them with Floquil before applying them to the tank. The tank still looks good after all those years, and I'll be using it in the first town on the new extension, when/if I ever get the second level of my layout built.

  7. Gil Finn

    Gil Finn Active Member

    HIO would be very fine, small stiff cooper wire would seem to work would ity not?
  8. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    Look into the copper foil used by the stained glass hobbyists. They wrap it around the cut edges and then solder it together, giving the "leaded glass" effect.
  9. steammodeler

    steammodeler New Member

    While this may not be exactly what your looking for, here is what I did. Using 1/16" brass tubing and .015 x .024 brass flat stock I cut small length (1/16") length of tubing and slide one end of flat into tube, bent a slight tab toward the inside, make a loop and rethread. The thin brass can then be pulled as tight as you want, then pull up and trim next to the tube to lock in place. This can also be done using thin brass wire with much the same results.

Share This Page