HO – Trix Mikado with DCC/sound

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by cnw1961, Nov 14, 2006.

1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

This is not a comlete review, just some thoughts on my Mikado.

The Trix Mikado is a fantastic looking and well detailed engine. It is my first steamer and after all I read about steamers (need of traction tires, low weight etc.) I didn’t expect this performance. In a review of the Trix Mike I read, that it runs like a precision instrument. I think this is true. It can compete with my best running diesels (Atlas, Kato).

The DCC decoder runs very well (BEMF works perfectly) and you can program it without any problems.

Only the sound of the old ESU LokSound 2.0 decoder does not meet the very high standards of this engine. If you switch on the sound (by pressing F1) you can clearly hear a buzzing sound from the speaker. Even If you turn down the volume, the buzzing won’t change. And the chuffing sounds when the engine is running, are not the most prototypical I ever heard. The whistle is not playable, it is a fixed sound.

So if you want a good looking, excellent engine with DCC, and sound is only a nice extra to you, the sound equipped Trix Mikado is the best Mike you can get. If GOOD sound is important to you, you should consider to change the decoder or go for the DC version (DCC ready with a plug) and install a sound decoder of the latest generation, like a Tsunami.

BTW, the front coupler is a non-working dummy. I think it would be difficult, if not impossible to replace it by a working coupler (the coupler pocket is very small).

Here is a picture of my Trix Mikado. I converted the tender from coal to oil, changed the headlight and bell and weathered it. ( I am still waiting for the decals to be delivered to finish the engine)

View attachment 32010

Attached Files:

2. caliban

caliban Member

I've a Trix Mike too. It's typical Maerklin quality, it's the best engine/loco in my collection of some 70 units. I had no difficulties replacing the front and rear couplers. Both are mounted in NEM standard coupler boxes. I had Kadee's with NEM shaft on hand and they work well.
  3. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Hey Tobias, I did not know Kadees would work. Can you tell me the item numbers, please?
  4. caliban

caliban Member

I used Kadee #17, it's a short shank coupler for NEM362 coupler boxes. They were the only NEM Kadee's I had on hand:thumb: .
  5. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

I wish I had known that as well! I found a different, more labor intensive solution:
    - Filed the inside sides of the coupler pocket to make the opening slightly wider
    - Filed the sides of a #4 kadee until it would fit through the pocket.
    - Filled in the slot of the #4 with JB weld, then drilled a new hole for the pivot / mount as far forward as possible in the shank.
    *Note: The image shows my first attempt where I drilled the how ahead of the slot.
    This worked, but I wanted the hole slightly further back to allow more clearance, hence the JB weld (not shown)
    - Created a mounting "pad" for the coupler approximately .080" high from styrene
    - Drilled a hole in the pad and "tapped" it with a 1.3 x 4mm machine screw (from Northwest shortline)
    - Glued the pad to the underside of the pilot.
    - Used a .010" piece of styrene cut to the width of the coupler pocket to serve two puroses: As a shim to raise the assembled coupler to the correct height and to serve as the "lid" of my homemade coupler box.

In two of the three engines, I also had to mill away some plastic bosses from the bottom of the pilot where the grab iron and decoupling rod stancions were mounted with my Dremel.

I'll post pictures later of this and the engine itself at a later time. I'm extremely pleased with the locomotive - I'd consider it brass quality, only cheaper (and with better engineering quality).

Also Kurt, that's a nice weathering job on your model :thumb:

Attached Files:

6. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

Bump for pictures added to previous post.