HMS Savage build

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Love the outside photo's, every time I try it the sun goes and it chucks it down all day.

Always love to see the photos of her, a very well detailed model.
you done it proud, great stuff.

Regards

Rob

All I use is white glue and a little super glue to stiffen up very small parts that need the frame work cutting out.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage depth charge rails

Jim

just for you !!!!

This is all I got done tonight I included the Stanley knife because I bought it by accident the other day (I should think everyone else bought one years ago) because I wanted the original heavy duty one and they came cheaper as a kit.

I was amazed when I found I can cut more accurately with this than with a scalpel, probably because I can get some pressure on with my buggered fingers.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Barry, you're just too good to me! :D

I just logged on after getting home from work to find MORE photo updates...life is good...life is REAL good! :lol:

If that is the knife you use to make those precise, close tolerence cuts (like those depth charge racks :shock: ), well, I am just amazed!

I have one similar to that but I tend to use it only to cut the foam core board and larger card cuts like that, and I use #11 blades for everything else. Of course, I have to replace blades a lot, particularly when that damn little point breaks (cheap blades; not price-wise, but quality :D ) but I just haven't acquired the skill needed to cut closely with the larger blade.

I like the closeup shots, it shows up your wonderful detail work nicely.
Very fine work, that!

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Another great photo to show of the good work you have done.

I use a knife like that, but the same as Jim just for the big stuff.

It's a sod when the tip of the 11 blade snaps, I've done two to night :cry:

Great work Barry

Regards

Rob

R

RyanShort1

Not to brag, but I've been using the same No. 11 for a couple of months now... I use a sharpening stone (I think it's a soft Arkasas oilstone) that I picked up for $0.25 at a garage sale and whenever I think it's getting a bit dull, well the blade gets slightly smaller! Works just fine for me and saves quite a bit on blades.

Ryan

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Depth charge cage

Hi

Not a lot done at the moment I got my cable hit by lightening this morning spent the rest of the day putting the computers back together more than I can say for NTL's cable so I am still on 56 K and wondering how to manage. Luckily the computers are still working much to my surprise, I had a premonition and I was actually going towards them to switch everything off but as usual I was to late I think the bolt must have hit the garden rather than the house.

I put the depth charge rails together and I only realised tonight I had not loaded them, so I guess it's a retry again. I think it will be easier with the cans inside, something to glue to.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

It's been one hell of a storm, skys been black here also.
Hope your all alright and no damage!!!

Still hail, rain or shine nothing stops the modeling:lol:
For the racks try cutting and scoring, then use some super glue before you bend them to stiffen them up. Thats what I did with Yamato's crane so it won't fall to bits.

Still looks great though

Hope all normal again soon

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Rob
good tip they are flimsy.

Yea house is still in one piece but I am standing in for an old friend on maintainance and I do need a broadband connection it's impossible with 56k modem. So keep your fingers crossed nobody needs me.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Barry and Rob:
Glad to hear you both survived the storm! Had a TV blow out once when a bolt struck outside; the continuous circuits in the TV apparently draw some static energy from lightning because it fried the circuits! Scary stuff, that! :shock:

When using CA to stiffen the card, do you find it tend to make the card glossy or shiney? And do you suggest that it is best to stiffen with CA before cutting out the lattice or openings or after? I haven't tried that trick yet and wondered which you both felt worked to best advantage. Barry, did you try that trick when making the OH Perry Frigate masts? I seem to recall you mentioned doing that, but, my memory being what it is, you probably didn't... :eek:ops:

Looking great, Barry!

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi jim

This is what I do with the CA.

First cut out all the voids, Cut along any straight sections and score all lines that need it first. After this turn the bit over white side up. Drop a small amount of CA on to the largest section and let it run to the small struts ect, just enough to discolour the white back. Put it to one side to dry, then cut out as normal bend and glue together.

Thats all I use the CA for, I don't use it as a glue just to give bits strength.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi

The crack about carley floats was about fisting bad builds like the mishapen sausage on the bridge deck of Savage in doing it again I put the right coloured on instead, so halfway thro the build it became green.

Still trying to get back to broadband.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi barry

I do love the out side photos, looks great as always.

Still black sky here but no lightning, it must have known I wanted to do some photos of my own.

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage bow and winches

Hi

I had a change and did a few bits on the bow section in spite of what the flash shows all the edges are coloured. The winches are half done still about 5 bits to fit on top but that will have to wait until almost finished its a bit fragile.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Hard job to do the winches as they are the one thing the eyes are drawn straight to on the bows.
They look good to me, it's tempting to finish them even though you know they will get battered :lol:

Barry is this a kit or a CD model?

More please me old mate

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Rob

Kit is a CD model I wish I had bought the new printer before I built her as the colour fill is so much better on the new pages I have printed and the camera sure notices the the dot spacing with flash and close up. I'not sure I dare buy a kit book I fist a lot of stuff still.

I ordered a huge magifying glass today 30 x 19 cm to hang round my neck only £8.99 I will let you know if it's any good.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Torpedo crane

Hi All

A picture of less and less did not get too much time today so I thought I would try something small in the details.

Rob

In your destroyers book is there a picture of the racking under the searchlight platform and AA deckhouse portside. I carefully cut it out but I can't work out how it goes and it's the only thing there is no photograph for.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

I do have a photo in the book, but it's that small when I scaned it was almost impossible to see.

If you scan the bits and stick them in a message to me I will sort it out for you ASAP.

Looking great.
It's a bummer about the CD though, I would have liked to have a bash at this one.

Regards

Rob