HMS Savage build

jrts

:D

Hi Jim

Yes I agree

USS Constitution 44 of 1797.
Captain Isaac Hull.
She took HMS Java in 1812.

Hope it is any way as it is a fine looking ship.

Regards

Rob

barry

More details Savage

Hi

Still adding detail bits slowly all the deckhouses are done basically but loads to add to each one. I have been trying to keep the white edges coloured and it seems to be working quite well.

I rebuilt the carley float using thinner paper and in the right colours it does not resemble an overcooked sausage so much now.

If anyone decides to build this ship remember the decks are cambered so the bottom former of the deckhouses has to be inserted about 1/16 inch from the base of the deckhouse.

I know ships are boring, so I put what should be on my desktop (if I had not messed it up) as a measuring device instead of rulers and coins. Picture frame is 7.5 ins wide.

Sorry Tim can't enter the desktop competition cos I 've run out of time as usual.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Well, that certainly cheered up my morning!
Thanks, Barry...exquisite taste in desk top decoration...only wish the picture was a bit more in focus, but that's just me.
BTW, yes (boy, that was too easy!) I hope to get working on the waterline Constitution in 1/200 scale from Wilhelmshavener. I'm giving myself lots of lee way here because it's the one on CD, not quite sure the actual scale when I print it out on 81/2" by 11" paper, but I'll try and let ya'll know once I get going. I'll hopefully be moving into a new house (finally!) by the end of July, so there might be a slight delay.
More pictures, please, Barry!! Oh, yeah, and some of your ship too... :wink:
Jim

Scorpio

Hello Barry,

Your ship is very nice, but the lady is wonderful!!!

I look here every day, and I am very glad on further pictures of your ship

With much hearty greetings
Scorpio

barry

Torpedo tubes

Hi All

Started the torpedo tubes on Savage tried rolling one from card and went back to thin paper quickly it's a lot easier.

Painted (using standard water colours) the inside ends but this of course distorts the thin paper so they needed re rolling at buisness end.

Still a lot of detail to go on to the mountings but I thought I would be pushing my luck too far, so downed tools and came to look at everybody else's models.

Jim

in focus see desktops got my idle backside into gear and fixed the computer I hate maintenance.

Scorpio thank you for the comments

JR I don't think you have it in you too upset people

barry

Ajax

Re: Torpedo tubes

barry said:
and came to look at everybody else's models.
Never a bad decision. ;) Savage is looking excellent, Barry. Thanks for all the updates!

AJ

Jim Krauzlis

Darn it, Barry, I meant the photo in the background! :wink:
Seriously, those torpedo launchers came out great.
Great photo, by the way!
Jim

barry

Torpedo tubes

Hi

Finished the bits on the torpedo tubes. I was making some more rails for Takao I had built up 2 or 3 coats of well thinned glue using a brush and thought I could add a thicker coat again using a brush bad mistake, because the glue was thicker it filled in some the "holes" in the mesh and in trying to clean them out I broke some of the joints.

There were still plenty of small bits left so I nicked a bit for the railing on the tubes.

barry

jrts

Hi Barry

Tubes look great, hell of a lot of detail for a smaller ship. It's changing my mind about building smaller ships watching you build this so well. look forward to more.

Best regards

Rob

barry

Rob

It's a really well designed ship which helps and don't forget it's 1/200. I've just been trying to do the cut the boxes up bit but I need alot more practice and I shall have to get some flat clips for my third hand.

barry

jrts

Hi Barry

I still think the build has a lot to do with how good it looks.

Try cutting up an old Coke can and bending in to the shape of the clips, I did and it works fine for me.

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Barry,
I don't know if you have a Radio Shack or similar store nearby that sells not only electronic goods, but also clips, wire, etc., for the amateur radio ham. I have found a good many useful items there, such as the micro copper alligator like clips which have a smooth, flat jaws that work perfectly in holding card model parts together, as well as other uses. When rigging the cargo booms on the Mexico Victory, I don't know how else I would have been able to handle and manipulate the booms in gluing the blocks and then line to those small buggers. At 1/400 scale every thing is so delicate and difficult to handle without some help and they fit the bill.
The ones I bought were less than an inch in length and came 10 or so to a pack for a few bucks. This is what they look like:

Jim

barry

Torpedo tubes

Hi

No apologies it's another sunny day so.......

I am only just beginning to realise just how much work and effort the really good modellers like Scorpio and Swinger put in.

barry

JRSeese

You should be proud of those tubes, Barry. I keep seeing more splendid details the longer I look, they turned out magnificently.

Josh

Jim Krauzlis

Barry,
Nice photos; and you had better include yourself in that list of "the really good modellers"! :D
She looking great, and getting even better with each update.
Superb work, Barry!
Jim