HMS Savage build

jrts

:D

Hi Barry if it works don't knock it.

Will be intresting to see them when fixed in place.

Good luck

Regards

Rob

barry

Savage ladder

Hi

Well you judge for yourselves one ladder installed.(could be better)

A bit more on midships deckhouse

barry

jrts

Hi Barry

Nowt wrong with that. just downloaded it and enlarged it to get a better look. works well, what I think makes it stand out is that it is black!

Good though.

Regards

Rob

P.S Tried the chat room, but it won't let me in as it says I have a Trojon in my system. Well it' wrong as two programs I have for this say my machine is clean. then I downloaded the two programs they recomend and both of them say my machine is clean. So I don't know whats up with it??

Jim Krauzlis

Looking great, Barry!
You might recall I used a similar set up on the Mexico Victory railings, only I used that foam core stuff. Well, I've upgraded it to popsicle sticks... :lol:
Actually, the sticks are working better than the foamcore, because they are sturdier...towards the end of the foamcore life the piece crumpled under the "pressure" of the winds.
If you're interested I can post a photo of the popsicle jig I'm using now. Not much to it, actually, just sticks glued together in a rectangle. The toughest part is getting the spacing of the threads right, but that would be easier if I used a template, but I didn't. :roll:
I am still using just acrylic paint as the binding agent, but I think I will try and use CA the next time, like you and Rob did, and just paint it once I'm done to match the color I want. That will probably make a quicker joint and not "look" as painted like it does now. BTW I have used fly tying silk almost exclusively in making the rails (in 1/400) scale. I've not tried using different sizes, one thicker for the stanchions than the railings, but that's something else I have in the back of my dense head to attempt in the future. :lol:
I hope to post some photos in my album maybe this weekend of the Victory, but it's been a mad house around here.... :?
Jim

barry

Jim

Yea let's have a look, actually I was rumaging around for "popsicle" (icelolly) sticks but the grandchildren seem to have gone off them, I will have to put on my mucky old mac and go down the beach for them ( on brighton beach with portable steriliser no doubt). I think she who must be obeyed grabbed them as plant labels. I couldn't find any foam either so it had to be cardboard construction.

I think a coat of paint would probably stiffen them quite well.

barry

barry

Savage Bridge

Hi All

Added a few more "little" bits tonight, had to keep all extraneous bits pushed to one side otherwise I lost everything the moment I cut it. It gets more interesting with this amount of detail

I am also going to have to cut the back off the bridge sides and refit it.

barry

jrts

Hi barry

The amount of detail makes this look better all the time

Great build, look forward to more

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Barry, really coming along very well.
Everyone is right, with each step you are doing very right by this fine lady!
BTW I uploaded a few updated photos of my JSC Mexico Victory.
Almost done, just a bit more rigging on the forward cargo gear, a wee more railings and some final items and that should be it. Hope my Father-in-law likes it...a bit late for Father's Day.... :?
Here's the railing jig from popsicle sticks.
Jim

barry

Jim

Looks much better than the foam one unfortunately my wife tells me ice lolly sticks have almost disappeared in the Uk.

Mexico is looking fine the rigging at 1/400 is fantastic shows the galleon experience.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Barry :D
I might be persuaded to ship a few sticks you way...think it will pass Her Majesty's Customs inspection? :lol:
I use to have a friend that was a customs inspector, but I fear he has since retired to a quieter life building ship models in the country.
If you give me your address I could ship you a package of sticks...you'd be in everyone's favor being the only fellow in town with these "rare" sticks! :lol:
Thanks for the kind words about my Mexico Victory, Barry.
It is a constant learning process, to be sure, and hopefully I have learned a few things along the way, but still a great distance to go before I can even attempt something that comes out even half as good as your beautiful ships!
Jim

jrts

Hi Barry

Try the local pill rattlers shop for tounge depressors that quack use, there the same. Just been and bought some.

love the idea Jim :D

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Rob! :D
One point, which is probably obvious to you fellows but I had to work it out in my head before I grasped the importance, is to make sure the side on which the crossed threads are to be glued is even on all four top sides. If you don't, the threads will not touch where they cross. Yep, it's one of those "DUH?!?" type of things, but I thought I'd embarass myself and admit it wasn't obvious to me the first time around until I was using the jig. :eek:ops:
You could also paste a template either below or along the sides to help set up the spacing you need. This size is just about right for the 1/400 railings I was making, but you might need to use a bigger setup for larger scales to avoid having to fabricate a few batches of railings using the smaller sized jig.
Hope you folks find some of this is helpful. I surely want to repay at least a little for the numerous tips and advice I have received from the posts made by others :)
Jim

jrts

Jim

The obvious is nearly always missed. I've glued mine together and will give it a go when it's dry. It's when thread in one hand, glue in the other that the DOW comes unless you are reminded!!

Had a good look at the photos posted in the album. GREAT stuff should have done a thread on it!!

Regards

Rob

wunwinglow

Barry, get thee hence to the house of IKEA, and prevailest thou of a mitt-full of coffee swizzle sticks that thou shalt find in the coffee house there in. Just like lolly sticks but about half as wide. And free. If you buy some coffee.

Tim P

barry

Bridge

it was a sunny day again just thought savage deserved a better picture

Tim

That tip warms a Yorkshiremans heart FREE no less

barry

barry

Searchlight sponsons

added searchlight sponsons tonight

Jim

Rob's right next one has to be a thread

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Barry!
It's great to come home from work and see more great photos! :D
Thanks for taking the edge off of the end of the work day!

I thank you and Rob for the suggestion about doing a thread on the next project. I think the next one is going to be one I've been toying with for a while, but got interrupted a bit over the last six months or so with other things. It's a sailing warship near and dear to my heart, but a waterline hull version in 1/200 scale. One of the first ships of the infant US Navy. Any guesses? 8)

I figured with the experience gained from trying different techniques in rigging the Mexico Victory and the Galleon it's time to put it to the test and see if I can do a fully rigged ship in paper. I'm not yet ready for trying a larger scale like Larry's Cleo, but this one should be a good stepping stone while still being fun working in the smaller scale I've come to enjoy. Just hoping I'm not biting off more than I can chew, but, hey, ya never know! :lol:
Jim

barry

Mystery Yankee

Hi Jim

From previous odd comments I'd guess USS Constitution, which is one of the classics of that era certainly gave the Navy a shock.

Whatever it is I look forward to seeing your build of it, I don't think I am up to the rigging yet.

Barry