HMS Savage build

silverw

Wow Barry,

Your ladders and railings look GREAT!, not to mention the rest of the ship.
:D
I've just been getting into some railings myself and I can really appreciate the job you've done. ( I'll bet my crumpled wire pile is bigger than yours :twisted: )

Great pictures.

BCNU......Bill

Jim Krauzlis

Barry,
I don't know about that pile of wire, but you've taken a superb kit and made a masterpiece out of her! :D I dare say if you put her on a sea scape you'd be hard pressed to tell her from the real deal.

Great photos!!

Jim

jrts

Hi barry

Don't bother about the pile of scrap thats left, its the finished product that matters and that looks great.

Love the photos shows off all the hard work you have put into this.
Can't wait for more :roll:

Regards

Rob

barry

Savage sea base

I was just messing about getting over the effects of damp and rain on my fingers (I hate winter) so I decided to mess about with a cheap base for Savage. It is a 3 ply cardboard base with some watercolour slapped on, a bit of white glue for the wake and an overlay of crinkled "clingfilm" all a la Rob I might add. Photographs are rubbish but they show the varnish effect.

Do not worry Jim the model is only standing on the film I am not that sure it's good enough but at least with watercolour I can wash the whole thing over again and if it does not work so what, it was worth a try.

barry

jrts

Hi Barry

Anything is worth a try as long as you don't muck up Savage while doing it.

Looks a good effect from here.

Keep building

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Nice effect, Barry!

Yes, do be careful not to muss up Savage...although it looks like you did her proud with that sea scape. :D Any chance of seeing more photos?

Jim

barry

Jim

I am not that brave mate !!

English climate dull and overcast, barry's camera b****y useless.

Take care

barry

Ajax

Nice water effects, barry! As far as bases for models go, I don't think anything can beat the look of a ship in her element doing what she was built to do. Great job!

AJ

barry

Savage base

This is your fault Jim it's a joke shot in a way. I made the wake using white glue totally forgetting that it dries transparent so today it had disappeared a bit of acrylic on top of the shrinkwrap should fix it and the paint could have been applied better but as a prototype removable display stand it has promise.

barry

jrts

Hi Barry

Still looks good though.

Try mixing paint in with the glue, don't even mix it to well and it will give various shades to the wake.

Just a thought

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Well, that's one fine looking joke! :lol:

Really, the various shades give it a very realistic look. You can see that better in your last photo.

I use white acrylic just for touch-ups along the wave patterns along the bow, sides and of course in the wake area to give the impression of the churning water caused by the displacement of the vessel through the water. I would just try and carefully touch up those areas that once were glue and you might be pleasantly surprised with the results...I know it surprised me on the Mexico Victory! :lol:

Great job, Barry!

Jim