HMS Savage build

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi
Micheal

It's the fact that the model is only usable on one system that makes it no good for me, as I travel around the country a lot and use two or three systems a week. When I stop over at night I always take my model with me.

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
AA deck struts

Hi All

Added the girders under the AA platform took me a while to figure out how they fitted but it looks logical. I am not good at cutting folded and glued parts, in future I will print two out on normal card and use slow drying glue to fit them back to back after cutting, as the design does for the torpedo hoist.

When the parts have dried thoroughly in the morning I will straighten them up with tweezers. I did coat them in pva glue before I folded them this time (you were right Jim I did it on Yuki's ship, seems to help).

Sorry the photo's are flash ones (it makes Savage look as rough as hell probably is the sunlight is much kinder)

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Thanks for the photos, Barry! Tough day at the office, so it's nice to relax a bit and see what's new on your build.

The flash isn't all that bad, actually, it just washes some of the lighter greys a bit, but the focus is great!

I like the way the PVA stiffens the card yet keeps it from getting that unwanted sheen or gloss coat. Using acrylic paint probably does a bit of the same, but you need to find the right color...some of the details on the Mexico Victory were a bit off until I figured out the right tint, and, of course, the tint wet was different from the tint when the paint dried. :roll: Took a bit of trial and error, but it turned out alright in the end.

Looking great, as usual, Barry! :D
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Flash photos always make our models look as if they have been in the jaws of a mad dog. The shadows it casts and reflections thrown of don't do them any good.
Yamato always looks bent with very bad paint work :lol:

Love the work, keep going so we can have the next instalment please.

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi barry

I take it from the inside photo you have the same weather as us up here, raining cats,dogs and anything else it can chuck at us :lol:

Inside or out we still want the photos :roll:

Comeing along great though

More later I hope, Jim will get DT's otherwise :lol:

Best regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Totaly off topic except one ships name begins with S

Hi

I got fed up of cutting double up cardboard so got the paint pots just to prove that I intend to finish a few things.

Anyway never photographed them together before the 2 of the ships that got me back into cardmodels.

and for Jim my American mate.............

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Great looking beasts.

The two models, who published them?
And what scale are they in?
They look as if they are worth a build you have done a grand job on them.

I think another fleet photo might be in order :roll:

Regards Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Barry, I agree, those are two of the most striking ships with very pleasing lines. And Zio's design has been done outstanding justice by your builds!
Any particular problems you can recall with the build?
Thanks for posting those photos...maybe you can show us more? 8)
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Twin 4.7 "a" mounting

Hi

I found this the most difficult part of the build, tapered gun barrls I hate!!

I know they accurate but I wonder if my gun barrel days are over, have no fear I shall just do them with plastic tubing or something (you're not getting off that lightly).

The gun is built with a base, 2 vertical struts that would allow rotation of the guns up and down but I decided to leave them static. Then a wrap around very clever strip which allows the chamfer to the roof, and then the roof itself. The roof was the hard bit maybe I built it the wrong way but eventually I stuck on some glue shoved the roof in, then levered it back to its rightful position with the back of the scalpel blade. I got out the nail file and the paint pots. We will see in the morning how it dries out.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Looks great, it sounds as if you have had a bad day!!

I'am shure you will find another way to do barrels to save using plastic tubes.

Keep at it mate

Regards

Rob

Corporal_Trim

Jan 27, 2004
NorCal, USA
That's a fine duo of German ships, Barry ! :)

I hear you on the subject of tapered gun barrels. I used the tapered part of toothpicks for the 5.9" battery on the Wien and it came out okay. But then you would have made a multimedia model (though we might say that paper is just a wood by-product anyway). :wink:

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
HMS Savage 4.7 twin mount

Hi All

You're right Rob yesterday was a bad day here are a couple of photographs of the twin turret I'm still not sure it won't get a fist through it maybe it comes of watching Scorpio but in reality it's because Graf and Scharnhorst's guns are all paper and look better in 1/400.

Anyway it gives a good idea of what it looks like.

(put graf and scharn in seperate post)

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Great photos, she is getting there :D

If your having problems with the barrels try doing them in thin paper and see which is the better result!!. If your happy with them stiffen them up after that with a roll of paper stuffed down the breach end. Just an idea!!!

Look forward to a LOT more :lol:

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ships Motor Launch

Hi

Nice little design this fits together very well I like the way the stern planks are bent down from the deck it gives a very good guide to the curvature of the hull.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Cracker shots of the bridge, it realy looks fantastic very clean and neat :D

How come you have sunshine and I don't :cry:
Oh well it will give me time to build all the models I have in the wings!!

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage depth charge racks

Rob

I'll see your AA barrels and raise you

1 Fully armed rack
1 Relad rack
10 depth charges

Jim