HMS Savage build

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi All

Got to get some bits for Takao and my hands were a bit on strike and I only managed a couple of miniscule lamps for her. So to cheer myself up I did a few "big" bits on Savage.

So far everything fits together with no problems to keep our friends at Gremir happy I took the photographs ftom the "right" side, nothing's changed the cornflake box is round the other side.

The deck is just dry fitted at the moment but looks OK for fit. It will be a bit different as there is a camber to the deck and I will not be able to do my usual trick of "stick a load of books on it"

I will try and do a few more lights on Tak tonight.

barry

shoki2000

Feb 6, 2004
Tampa, FL - USA
www.gremirmodels.com
barry said:
So far everything fits together with no problems to keep our friends at Gremir happy I took the photographs ftom the "right" side, nothing's changed the cornflake box is round the other side.
barry

Barry,

You just earned yourself a 10% discount on your next order :D
And there will be at least two more Royal Navy ships in the near future ...

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
hmas savage

tim

welcome back from plastic land (You never showed us a photograph of the ship you were doing)

swinger

Point taken always thought Polish had a similar humour to English. Your English is very very good. Next question what do you use please?

Shokai

Thank you kindly I will take you up on it.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Shokai

Silly question is Savage designed with the cut edge showing on the horizontal or vertical ie deck house roof or sides.

barry

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
shoki2000 said:
Tim:

Don't worry, just send me pictures of completed model to show on our website :D
quote]

ME!? Finish a model? Ha, you are funny man! VERY funny!!

But I might surprise you all yet......

Tim P

PS Barry, you REALLY want to see what I get up to in my spare time? OK, you asked....

www.kipperboxes.co.uk Sovremenny and LCT4 sections.

Oh, and www.bammo.org.uk now the weather is a bit better!! I'm a Qualified Observer.

Swinger

May 29, 2004
Gdansk, Poland
www.republika.pl
Barry - thanks... ;) But now... Do you mean... what I use to colour the edges? :D If so, I use distemper colour, but poster paint is good too, provided that it is in a tube (otherwise it dries out rather quickly). Some time ago I was using water-colour, but they tend to fade after some time. However, some guys at Kartonwork use oil pastels and say they are fantastic... Anyway, I've never tried this way, so I can't tell. :)

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Tim's site

Tim

It's a fascinating site I am amazed at your ingenuity and engineering I thought you said you never finished anything. Anyway its gone on my favourites list, modelling at it's best.

Swinger

Thanks I was trying with pencils but it didn't work too well photoflash makes it disappear, poster paint sounds good tho I can probably handle that.

Barry

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
Barry, I'm blushing!! Thanks, glad you liked the site!

Swinger, I use Daler-Rowney Gouache paints to touch up the edges of my models. Water clean-up, 6 colours including black and white which can be intermixed, dries quickly and matt finish. Use diluted for a wash effect. £5.00 bough a set of 6 x 15ml tubes which will last as long as I will!

Tim P

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
HMS Savage hull

Hi

Glued one side of the ships sides on, fairly straightforward glue the components of each side together. THe joins should be reinforced with 80 gsm or thin card they fit very well plenty of gluing surface because they are stepped.

I made a cock up on the bow but it peeled back with no trouble for a second try, glue it frame by frame for the last four frames roll the flare in gently. I sanded the bow a little higher than indicated. I did try colouring the sides as I went somebody will note my unsteady hand on the stern. Problem is when glued wit UHU water based paints don't grip and printer ink is dodgy for smudging.

Photo's not brilliant but her camo is !!

barry

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Re: HMS Savage hull

barry said:
Photo's not brilliant but her camo is !!

It certainly is! :D You've done a great job building the hull, and with that arctic camo it looks like she's going to be a very attractive model indeed. 8)

A.J.