HMS Savage build

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by barry, Jun 3, 2004.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Hi All

Got to get some bits for Takao and my hands were a bit on strike and I only managed a couple of miniscule lamps for her. So to cheer myself up I did a few "big" bits on Savage.

So far everything fits together with no problems to keep our friends at Gremir happy I took the photographs ftom the "right" side, nothing's changed the cornflake box is round the other side.

The deck is just dry fitted at the moment but looks OK for fit. It will be a bit different as there is a camber to the deck and I will not be able to do my usual trick of "stick a load of books on it"

I will try and do a few more lights on Tak tonight.

2. Swinger

Swinger Member

Are you going to colour the parts' edges in this model?
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

You just earned yourself a 10% discount on your next order :D
    And there will be at least two more Royal Navy ships in the near future ...
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

[quote="shoki2000And there will be at least two more Royal Navy ships in the near future ...[/quote]

Ooooo, you CRUEL man!!!!! I only just started cutting out the frames for Savage!!!

Tim P
  5. barry

barry Active Member

hmas savage

welcome back from plastic land (You never showed us a photograph of the ship you were doing)

Point taken always thought Polish had a similar humour to English. Your English is very very good. Next question what do you use please?

Thank you kindly I will take you up on it.

6. barry

barry Active Member

Silly question is Savage designed with the cut edge showing on the horizontal or vertical ie deck house roof or sides.

7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Don't worry, just send me pictures of completed model to show on our website :D

Deck edges should be covered.
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

9. Swinger

Swinger Member

Barry - thanks... ;) But now... Do you mean... what I use to colour the edges? :D If so, I use distemper colour, but poster paint is good too, provided that it is in a tube (otherwise it dries out rather quickly). Some time ago I was using water-colour, but they tend to fade after some time. However, some guys at Kartonwork use oil pastels and say they are fantastic... Anyway, I've never tried this way, so I can't tell. :)
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Tim's site

It's a fascinating site I am amazed at your ingenuity and engineering I thought you said you never finished anything. Anyway its gone on my favourites list, modelling at it's best.

Thanks I was trying with pencils but it didn't work too well photoflash makes it disappear, poster paint sounds good tho I can probably handle that.

11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Barry, I'm blushing!! Thanks, glad you liked the site!

Swinger, I use Daler-Rowney Gouache paints to touch up the edges of my models. Water clean-up, 6 colours including black and white which can be intermixed, dries quickly and matt finish. Use diluted for a wash effect. £5.00 bough a set of 6 x 15ml tubes which will last as long as I will!

Tim P
  12. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I just came back from your site..........
    I only saw the Sovremenny. Don't want to go deeper into shock after seeing this level of craftsmanship.................
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

How's Savage coming along, Barry?
    Looking forward to this thread as well!!
  14. jrts

jrts Active Member

:D hi all

I have a photo of her in the med I will dig it out in the morning and post it. It will be black and white.

15. barry

barry Active Member

HMS Savage hull

Glued one side of the ships sides on, fairly straightforward glue the components of each side together. THe joins should be reinforced with 80 gsm or thin card they fit very well plenty of gluing surface because they are stepped.

I made a cock up on the bow but it peeled back with no trouble for a second try, glue it frame by frame for the last four frames roll the flare in gently. I sanded the bow a little higher than indicated. I did try colouring the sides as I went somebody will note my unsteady hand on the stern. Problem is when glued wit UHU water based paints don't grip and printer ink is dodgy for smudging.

Photo's not brilliant but her camo is !!

16. barry

barry Active Member

Artic camo

a better view of arctic camo

17. Ajax

Ajax Member

Re: HMS Savage hull

It certainly is! :D You've done a great job building the hull, and with that arctic camo it looks like she's going to be a very attractive model indeed. 8)

18. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Barry

Picture as promised
  19. jrts

jrts Active Member

Here is another Photo

H.M.S Hurworth
  20. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks Rob

That's one I have never seen.