HMS RODNEY my Kitchen

Great job with the Walrus Joe. I've never been able to build one of those out of card for squat! You did a good job on it.

She's looking good Joe. Keep at her.

Mauiman

Great job with the Walrus Joe. I've never been able to build one of those out of card for squat! You did a good job on it.

She's looking good Joe. Keep at her.

Perhaps when you are done with the Impressive Arizona model that you are working on. You should try your hand at this build. I have hope that you can pull it off and pull it off nicely.

As for the builder of this HMS Rodney I am very impressed with this build and your skill. Keep up the good work and keep on surprising people like me.

jkrenzer

I agree, I woul love to see Eib buidl this, my skills are marginal.

Anyway it's been a while but here are my latest pic's. I spent some time completing the hull for Titanic. Pic tomorrow, really neat model.

I finished the small details in paper. I have to add more styrene and some rigging. The crane ranks among the nicest I have done, but wish I could have hollowed the vertical structure. I chose not to because Fly did not prvide internals and I did not want take a risk being this along.

All that is left besides rigging and styrene are the props and a propper base.

Attachments

• PICT0269.jpg
    PICT0269.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 33
  • PICT0270.jpg
    PICT0270.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0271.jpg
    PICT0271.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0272.jpg
    PICT0272.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 24
  • PICT0273.jpg
    PICT0273.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0276.jpg
    PICT0276.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 19

jkrenzer

more pics. sorry looks like I duplicated some.

Attachments

• PICT0277.jpg
    PICT0277.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0278.jpg
    PICT0278.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PICT0286.jpg
    PICT0286.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0287.jpg
    PICT0287.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 15
  • PICT0288.jpg
    PICT0288.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 23
  • PICT0289.jpg
    PICT0289.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 18
She looks wonderful Joe. I'm glad you could finish her. Just the fine details to go.

I don't think your skills are marginal, I think you've done quite a remarkable job on this beautiful old ship.

Your detail work is very clean and this will be a nice addition to your model shelf.

Mauiman

Good work on her. I do agree with Eibwarior very well.

I can see that you have worked very hard on this model and this model is very good. Just remember to keep out of reach of small children ;)

Beachead

A very good build. Still a sort of odd ship design. I like you're adding the sea plane to turret c. I hadn't noticed any photos with it onboard. Again, congrats.

redhorse

For some reason, I'm getting e-mails from Zealot again! This turned out really well, Rodney is still one of my favorites and you did a great job.

jkrenzer

Thanks;

Here are some additional photos, I forgot to take these when I finished her details. All I have left to do is add her flags and make a nice shelf for display.

Also see the 2nd photo on the bottom left, Rodney in Malta circa 1943 with this camo and the plane on C-Turret. I am sure the plane was landed when she was engaged or at sea speeds.

http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Malta WWII/HMS_Rodney.htm

Attachments

• P1130025.jpg
    P1130025.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 32
  • P1130026.jpg
    P1130026.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 32
  • P1130028.jpg
    P1130028.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 26

jkrenzer

Oh, and I been distracted by Titanic. I have been working Fly models 1/200 Titanic. A monster of a kit.

Attachments

• P1130030.jpg
    P1130030.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 27
  • P1130032.jpg
    P1130032.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 22
  • P1130031.jpg
    P1130031.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1130033.jpg
    P1130033.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 24
Nice closing shots of Rodney. That's a nice model and I hope to build it as well as you have some day down the road.

It's cool to see Titanic side-by-side with Rodney. Quite a comparison between the vessels. Nice work on the Titanic by the way.

smyfe

The Rodney and Nelson were two of the most individual warships in naval history and I think it is very rare that such justice has ever been done to them, work of art:thumb::thumb:

Mick

Wow. make me feel like having another go at mine. I was never really happy with the colours in the kit though. Fly model seem to have a bit of 'close enough" attitude to colours, particularly in their older kits.

Beachead

What a difference in the size of the two. Titanic was/is huge! The kit must weigh a couple of pounds. Great build on the Rodney. Wonder which is the tougher or is it apples and oranges?

jkrenzer

Thanks;

Rodney was tougher at least until I get to the ships boats. The Titanic hull has no difficult bends except at the stern. Also, the long straight sides are paneled (I used balsa) and as such are very flat. The upper works are mostly just rectangles and are all built one level at a time, the funnels were basic ellipical rounds and of course there are no guns.

Oh yah, I am one more M.E. (model experienced), they almost always seem easier as I go.