HMS RODNEY my Kitchen

jkrenzer

Oct 2, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I have good news - bad news.

Good news, kithcen is done and the wife loves it. Not much to see pic wise.

Bad news, really bad news. I dropped the Rodney on its head. Yah that's right, I did the unthinkable. Recently the wife got a new kitten and in a typical wise move I decided to put Rodney out of reach. So the other day while reaching for her to work on her, she slipped. As she tumbled earthward, I grabbed in a natural reaction and caught her by the bridge. I buckled the main bridge walls, destroyed the radar mast. The rest of the model is either undamaged or repairable.

I decided to acquire another kit and make a new bridge. Problem is the 2 places I use in N. America, paper model store and hobby factory, no longer carry her. If anyone would be willing to part with her for $'s or swap please let me know. I have over 60 other models, most long since out of print to trade with.

Until new raw materials become available she has been dry docked in a safe place, out of sight, so hard to see her damaged.

I have started my Fly Titanic, wow, this is a nice and very big model.

redhorse

Dec 28, 2007
McKinney, TX
Oh man! That's bad news. Sorry I don't have a Rodney, I've been looking for one for a while myself. I haven't even found one at the Polish places either...

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
jkrenzer,

If all you're looking for is replacement parts, I think I can hook you up. I have a copy of The Fly Rodney and I could scan any specific parts you might need for replacement and email them to you.

What do you think??? I'd hate to see you stop work on her.

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Oh, I am sooo sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. My 1:200 HMS Hood took a dive from the top of my book shelf a couple weeks ago. I only kept the turrets. I really feel for you.

-Ski

jkrenzer

Oct 2, 2007
Syracuse, NY
eib; thanks,

The parts I now need are the bridge, numbers are all over the place but the bridge is destroyed. This model the bridge is 39 thru 42 plus the 3 gun directors 79 and 84.

I would really appreciate it. If you can mail them to jkrenzer@tactair.com and joe_tressa@yahoo.com. The best I can do is print US a-size 8"-11" and my work place printer is the best. I will post my damage photos shortly.

Thanks so much.
Joe

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
No problem Joe.

I'll round up that model and get on the scanner soon. I'll let you know something through email when I get them scanned in.

I'm glad I could help. You're doing such a great job on the Rodney (one of my favorite ships) I wanted to see you finish her.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Joe,

I've got some good news and some bad news... First the good.

After a big search, man I didn't realize that I had accumulated so many models, I finally found the Fly Rodney. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I didn't find it in time for my vacation this week. I didn't have time to scan anything in before I hit the road to Florida.

Joe, I'll get these parts in next week and send them to you via email. Sorry for the delay.

jkrenzer

Oct 2, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Eib, thanks so much.

I got the pdf's and printed them. They look great and as good as the originals, aint technology great.

She has just moved back out of dry dock and initial bridge construction will begin shortly.

Not knowing how long I was going to have to wait I started my Fly Titanic, here they are side by side. Titanic is now heading to mothballs for awhile. I do like the way the lower hull plating has assembled, no filler can be used without loosing the rivet and edge printing, also Fly has designed the center prop housing and last plate magnificantly, check out the fit.

Model building is driving my wife nuts, now that the Titanic is started I can't wait to finish Rodney, I must resist the temptation to rush it though.

:wave:

Attachments

• PICT0192.jpg
    PICT0192.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 32
  • PICT0194.jpg
    PICT0194.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 28

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Glad I could help Joe. I'm just glad to see you back into Rodney.

Looks like you've made a real good start on Titanic. I know your pain. It's so tempting to work a pair of models concurently, but it can be very taxing. I started a 1/350 plastic Arizona concurently with my 1/100 card Arizona, and it wasn't long before the smaller one hit the shelf.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to your next update.

jkrenzer

Oct 2, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Back to where I was, thanks to Eibwarrior. The bridge is rebuilt and the color match is pretty good. I was able to save the range finders, the radar mast deck and several of the bridge wing walks so the the reconstruction only took 8 or so hrs.

Attachments

• PICT0195.jpg
    PICT0195.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0198.jpg
    PICT0198.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0204.jpg
    PICT0204.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 21

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Great Joe. Glad I could help you out. She looks beautiful!

Doesn't look like it will be long before you're into the boat deck and funnel areas. Keep up the great work and updates

Thanks!

jkrenzer

Oct 2, 2007
Syracuse, NY
You're right Eib;

The funnel structure is done, have to add the pipe but will wait to later when I do all the styrene work. Also the bow wave break and the two primary AA platforms are done.

Attachments

• PICT0226.jpg
    PICT0226.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0227.jpg
    PICT0227.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0228.jpg
    PICT0228.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0231.jpg
    PICT0231.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 23

jkrenzer

Oct 2, 2007
Syracuse, NY
This is a great forum, made by guys like Eibwarrior and yourself.

I have been working the stern superstructure and have progressed onto her aft mast.

Attachments

• PICT0239.jpg
    PICT0239.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 30

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
The stern superstructure looks much more accurate than the Maly Modelarz Rodney that I built a few years ago. The area around the secondary guns looks correct.

Very skilled work. You're running downhill now. :)

jkrenzer

Oct 2, 2007
Syracuse, NY
The scout plane is installed on C turret. Took 5 hrs just to build the plabe. My camara is a piece of s**t otherwise I would have better closer pictures.

Attachments

• PICT0238.jpg
    PICT0238.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 33