HMS RODNEY my Kitchen

lriera

You are doing very well both jobs. The balsa trick is a really interesting one. I am also going to try it in the future.

jkrenzer

Status report.

Hours:
Kitchen 47 hrs
Rodney 19 hrs

Progress:
The kitchen is fully wall boarded and the first coat of paint is complete. I little more putty and sanding. No pictures of this stage.

The Rodney is progressing.
In the 1st photo I have started papering the hull. I used black card stock to cover all the formers, this has worked well. Photos 2-4 show the lower hull plated. Since I was was dry wall puttying and sanding so much I thought to use the dry wall putty on the hull. Much to my relief this worked very well to fill the voids and sanded easily with 600 grit wet/dry paper. I never filled a hull before (see my Porter and Paris photos for the best I can do without putty). The old Fly model is not computer generated and there is no way to paper the lower hull without gaps. In the past I used thin copy paper strips over the seams (see my Nagato and Portland models). The difference between these kits is the former are computer drawn while the later are older hand drawn kits. The last 2 pics show the 3 piece upper plating installed on the port side. The fit is remarkable and only required 40 minutes to install all 3.

Tomorrow I will finish the starboard side.

This comming weekend is a holiday in the US so the kitchen will get most of the effort, and during drying breaks I hope to get the shafts installed on Rodney.

:wave:

Attachments

• PICT0022.jpg
    PICT0022.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0026.jpg
    PICT0026.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0027.jpg
    PICT0027.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 16
  • PICT0028.jpg
    PICT0028.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 15
  • PICT0029.jpg
    PICT0029.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 19
White Stuff

Is that spackle or putty in the seams? If so, you can forgo the necessity and tedium of having to fill seams if you fill the spaces between bulkheads with styrofoam. My Hunley build thread describes how to do this. Though much smaller than your Rodney I learned this technique from the RC guys and have used it in much larger models to good effect.

Also, one of the things I have learned to do with ship models is to trim the bulkheads down a bit all around which ensures the color plates fit with a bit to spare; it's easier to trim than to add.

Hope this helps with future builds.

Beachead

Looks awesome. I have some novice questions though. The use of balsa, 2mm board has me stumped. I understand the concept but I don't seem to grasp the execution. I did poor with word problems way back in my school days so the more detail the better. I'm guessing there is a thread in the technique section maybe?

The other is, way couldn't matching lateral hull plates be attached at their keel edge and then laid on the framing? Probably the size has something to do with it I suppose. Larger pieces would create control problems. Anyway, lookin mighty fine. Really like the regular updates.

davel1950

confused

Hi I'm new to all this
why are you transfuring the formers to balsa wood ,is this normal and is the rest of the model made from the card kit
Dave L

jkrenzer

I started using balsa for only the main decks, it was much easier to cut and simply does not warp like heavy card stock. It was so much easier to cut and sand that I just started using it for the bulk heads as well. You have to be carefull glue the decks in place as white glue is still the best way to glue the paper to balsa. I pour the white glue into a small bowl the spread it with a 2 inch paint brush. The deck card stock is usually heavy enough not the stretch or bubble as the white glue tries to expand the paper. For the thin sheet bulk head patterns I use a glue stick that dries fast enough not to cause the paper to stretch. It just does not have the holding power so it tends to peel. I then just touch up the edges with CA. The entire frame is fitted then little by little I dab CA into the slots.

The nice adder is the model weight is much lower and handling is easier.

As far as the gaps, this is not so untypical of the older kits. Some guys make their own by laying grid paper over the bulk heads then tracing the needed shape. I time consuming process I will try someday.

I like the idea of the foam, I don't have any tools for it but it looks good. For this model the edges would still not match on the paper plates even if layed over foam.

I think the hull will look once I paint it. The upper hull sides went on very easily and smoothly.

Back to another paint coat on the kitchen and time allowing I will put the 3 starboard plates on tonight after the Kitchen work.

jkrenzer

Another 1.5 hrs Thursday evening, some work on the two shafts and the rudder. The kitchen got an hour of touch up spackle.

I rolled the shafts over wooden dowels.

This hull has been a pleasure so far and I will paint it while the kitchen paint dries this weekend.

We are finally suppose to warm up in the northeast US this weekend. We are just finishing a 2 week stretch of 20 deg F below average temps. I am looking foward to some warmth finally.

Attachments

• PICT0030.jpg
    PICT0030.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PICT0032.jpg
    PICT0032.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0035.jpg
    PICT0035.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PICT0038.jpg
    PICT0038.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0039.jpg
    PICT0039.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 11

jkrenzer

Update on the projects;

Kitchen - 70 hrs, Rodney 22 hrs

The Kitchen is proceeding, the cabinets will leave the factory Monday and the preperation is almost complete. The wall opposite with no cabinetry has the waynescoat (what ever they call it) in stalled. Spent the last weekend stripping, sanding, and refinishing the window over the sink.

While the stain and then the varnish were drying i got some fun work done on HMS Rodney. The lower superstructure is built in 4 parts, 3 of which are framed in. Those three are completed and the fit was perfect.

Fly Models in all their old ways just seem to look the best when done. This model is not perfect in fit but the hull is fairly smooth and the upper works seems to fit great. The walls have no stretch or sags. the deck is flat smooth. I still believe Fly has it right, just enough detail to look great but not so much to be obviously over done like some of the newer GPM kits.

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 12
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 16

jkrenzer

I took a few more shots since we actually have some sun here in central NY. At this point I laminated the superstructure 1st deck level and painted the hull. I tried to get a contrast showing the decks. I the last group of photos I placed my other 2 Fly models USS Portland and IJN Nagato for comparison.

The kitchen is getting close to assembly. The cabinets should arrive late this week or early next. Once they are here I will likely stop working on Rodney all together.

Tonight I will work on the foward superstructure as it has no internal frame. The superstructure is built in segments 31-34. 31 is the last to be installed. The deck is laminated after installing 32-34 because 2 pieces cover 3 and the seams are not collinear.

jkrenzer

OOPS, forgot the pics.

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0002.jpg
    PICT0002.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 19
  • PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 38
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 27
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 26

jkrenzer

Thanks Jim;

This is the last of Monday nights work. The foward superstructure is strickly old school. No reinforcement possible and none tried. I used the built in tabs, a little oversized due to the fold width adds a bit to the length. Also the upper surface is a little wavy.

The cabinets are confirmed for delivery Friday so Rodney will likely sit more than not for a while.

By the way, just ordered the DKM Hipper from GPM. Easily the best lines of all warships ever built in my opinion. Couldn't hold a battle candle to the Japanese CA's (the best gunned cruisers of all time) or even the US ships but such nice looking ships. The HMS Hood of cruisers, sexy but weak. The model should arrive soon and I will post a comment.

Attachments

• PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 14
  • PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 15
  • PICT0015.jpg
    PICT0015.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0016.jpg
    PICT0016.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 16

jkrenzer

Latest installment.

The cabinets arrived Friday. Thursday night I got a little further on
Rodney. The second deck is done framing. This is a fun model and I can't wait to get to it more once I am done cabinet hanging.

I spent all day Saturday and Sunday finishing the kitchen prep. Started installing cabinets Sunday, like a big model but easier. The stove/range and dishwasher will not be delivered for a few days.

I used the jack from the car to elevated and hold the upper cabinets in place while squarring and fastening the cabinet. My brother in law suggested the jack. I made extra tall saw horses then hoisted the cabinets onto the jack and eased them into place.

I lost my hour tracking page, but since the last edit I have added 16 hrs on the ktichen and 2 on Rodney.

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 13
  • PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 12
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 15
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 15

Beachead

They look great. You can really tell a difference in the three ships when looking at them bow on. From they're starboard sides, the US cruiser doesn't appear to be all that much smaller.

Ya, and the kitchen looks good too.

reklein

Good Job! Krenzer, on both Kitchen and battleship. I Did my kitchen a few years back and no way would I have energy left to build modelships. One thing at a time for this geezer:killer:.I'm currrently building a Model Card Arizona in1-200. Its a ten yr,old kit and so probably hand drawn. I'm having a little trouble with the fit, but most of that may be due to myself. Its my first ship but I have a feew planes under my belt. One problem I have is repositioning parts after I see they are misaligned. I'm using Elmers white glue. I've started using gel CA and kinda tacking as I go,and that seems to have helped some. Any tips on this??

jkrenzer

Finally;

The light is begining to appear at the end of the tunnel. I finished the cabinets. Next step is the sub floor. I also managed a few minor additions to Rodney and got to witness 2 terrific hail storms on Monday, a real rarity for central NY.

Attachments

• PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 8
  • PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PICT0019.jpg
    PICT0019.jpg