HMS Repulse From GreMir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice shots Padre. Keep up the good work.

Do you find that building large scale railings in that manner easier than jigs and other methods?

P

Padre

I made the railings a little shorter than they should be but, yes. pulling the wire is easy and simple. Also they can be curved down to look like they are hanging like real railings. Samples below (did not put on the Arizona as that was my first effort).

P.S. Swinging the HMS Repulse around to work on the other side takes half the room to spin it around!

Attachments

• Gremir (3).jpg
    Gremir (3).jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 57
  • lsmr40.jpg
    lsmr40.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 40
P

Padre

More, slow progress on Repulse., Oops, posted the Porter also,

Attachments

• HMS (1).jpg
    HMS (1).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 41
  • HMS (2).jpg
    HMS (2).jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 39
  • HMS (3).jpg
    HMS (3).jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 44
  • HMS (4).jpg
    HMS (4).jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 39
  • HMS (5).jpg
    HMS (5).jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 42
Looking good Padre.

What thickness are you using for the superstructure, just out of curiosity?

Looks like some pretty thick stock.

P

Padre

1.5 mm card from office Max. I got a digital caliper from Harbor freight to measure it. I then paste the printed paper on it and it comes to 1.6 mm. That is what the instructions call for.

P

Padre

Installed turret B, had some problems building it. The fit of the top plating seemed to difficult for me, made two turrets before it looked right, the plating on the top front is doubled to cover the gaps. Also had to double the thickness of the base to make the side not overlap the bottom.

Attachments

• ship.jpg
    ship.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 41
  • ship (1).jpg
    ship (1).jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 37
Despite the difficulties the turret turned out great. Very nice. The guns make the battleship. :mrgreen:

110 card on the superstructure... Looks thicker to me for some reason, but I believe that's a good weight for this scale model.

P

Padre

Main guns finished and mounted. Make the base 1.5mm thick and then glue the back, two top plates (the third later) then the side wrap around. Now glue the last top part on.

Attachments

• H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 38
  • H (2).jpg
    H (2).jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 34
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 33
P

Padre

Further progress on Repulse. Sometimes I try the detailed build, sometimes go the simple way.

Attachments

• rep1.jpg
    rep1.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 33
  • rep1 (1).jpg
    rep1 (1).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 42
  • rep1 (2).jpg
    rep1 (2).jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 42
Repulse is coming along nicely Padre.

You are certainly paying a lot of attention to fine detail. Keep up the progress photos.

Thanks!!!

Teamski

Indeed! I admire your work on the barrels. There was once a day I thought I could do those. Oh how it all came crashing down on my first attempt!

-Ski

P

Padre

the design does not give much to roll for the barrels, I glued 20lb paper extension on them (and other narrow rolls) and then started to roll. That gives something to work with and get a tighter roll. Also using stiff wire, skewers, etc . to roll around. The pictures also hide a lot of defectssign1

airbob

great job!!

Padre,
I love this project!, and a great job you are doing:mrgreen:....you mentioned that you got the 1.5mm card at Office Max....what was the product called?....I tried to find this online and could not:cry:

P

Padre

More progress.

Attachments

• HMR1 (1).jpg
    HMR1 (1).jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 34
  • HMR1.jpg
    HMR1.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 28
  • HMR (1).jpg
    HMR (1).jpg